Amb15016 - Tiroler Holzhacker Marsch - Johann Strauss Orch.

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Amb15016 - Tiroler Holzhacker Marsch - Johann Strauss Orch.

Post by Valecnik »

I picked this up at the show in Rüdesheim a couple years ago along with a few other pristine 4 minute Amberols. Admittedly they are fragile but sound fantastic, especially with an O reproducer. :D

[youtubehd]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixF-JuyLpAo[/youtubehd]

melvind
Victor IV

Re: Amb15016 - Tiroler Holzhacker Marsch - Johann Strauss Or

Post by melvind »

Really great sounding record for sure. I agree that the delicate 4 minute wax amberol records are the best sounding cylinder records Edison made. I am always squeamish when placing them on the mandrel, but they do all right as long as you don't drop them.

Very nice video. Thanks for posting it.

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

melvind wrote:Really great sounding record for sure. I agree that the delicate 4 minute wax amberol records are the best sounding cylinder records Edison made. I am always squeamish when placing them on the mandrel, but they do all right as long as you don't drop them.

Very nice video. Thanks for posting it.
Thanks Dan. I'd go a step further and say that those were probably the best sounding record of that time. If you compare a lateral cut disc to a 1910 Amberol, same music, the Amberol will always be noticeably more crisp and clear.

I've played this one twice. Probably won't be playing it again now that I have a decent recording. However that's no guarantee I might not open the box one day only to find it split in half. :(

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Very impressive. Is BA26010 (German Series) a reissue of this recording?

Valecnik
Victor VI

Post by Valecnik »

epigramophone wrote:Very impressive. Is BA26010 (German Series) a reissue of this recording?
Thank you. Yes BA26010 is a reissue of this recording.