Ken Burns Country Music

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Ken Burns Country Music

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Starting September 15th PBS will air the documentary series about the history of Country Music. His 2001 Jazz documentary is my favorite documentary of his so I’m really excited.

https://www.pbs.org/kenburns/country-music/

I’m excited for the first few episodes for the possibility of seeing some machines in the documentary plus the pioneer artists we love to collect on 78s.

BTW Anybody remember PBS’s “American Epic” a couple of years ago and the shots of a Credenza machine shown throughout the documentary?

Wolfe
Victor V

Re: Ken Burns Country Music

Post by Wolfe »

Ironic that they would use a Credenza motif, since the rural people who bought those early country and blues records would have used more modest machines.

I find Ken Burns a bit of a snooze, honestly. He's been coasting since the Civil War series. But I'm sure I'll get around to seeing some of this some time.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Wolfe wrote:Ironic that they would use a Credenza motif, since the rural people who bought those early country and blues records would have used more modest machines.

I find Ken Burns a bit of a snooze, honestly. He's been coasting since the Civil War series. But I'm sure I'll get around to seeing some of this some time.

Not to mention these rural folks didn’t have the money to swap out needles on their modest machines with every play, and that’s why we usually find these desirable records in horrible condition. It’s the opposite with red seals, I always find those in great condition.

I read an old article about Joe Buzzard and he said people bought red seals for snob appeal and barely played them or something like that... Or maybe that was R. Crumb that said that... I don’t remember.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Anyway, on American Epic (which is available on Amazon Prime) this Credenza Machine is featured twice an episode.
Attachments
A55464CA-78AD-4EC4-9665-65FD625FF9B3.jpeg

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

One of these might have been more accurate.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNxx1Li7OYk[/youtube]

With a resused steel needle and a bunch of friends, neighbors and chillun' sitting around listening to it, because the machines owner was one household that had such a thing. :) Then they may have only had a few records so you played the same ones over and over.

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

Wolfe wrote:One of these might have been more accurate.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNxx1Li7OYk[/youtube]

With a resused steel needle and a bunch of friends, neighbors and chillun' sitting around listening to it, because the machines owner was one household that had such a thing. :) Then they may have only had a few records so you played the same ones over and over.

I think Credenzas were originally bought by the affluent Red Seal crowd and probably wouldn’t allow such “lowbrow” music to be played on their machines. Or that’s what I imagine people thought then. I imagine the Credenza owner of 1926 looking like the guy in this picture:
Attachments
ADACA481-C429-4EFE-8059-129F2E26FEDD.jpeg

AmberolaAndy
Victor V

Post by AmberolaAndy »

I bet this scene made some 78 collectors cringe.

“WHAT!? Playing a Charley Patton Paramount with a STEEL NEEDLE? This record is completely destroyed!”

(To be honest they’re sort of have a point because I read Paramount didn’t have the best shellac and the shortsighted workers threw the masters in the river.)

Sorry for going off topic on my own subject for a second.
Attachments
26054E6C-24A7-4891-81CB-6AA9C7F712FD.jpeg

Henry
Victor V

Post by Henry »

Wolfe wrote:I find Ken Burns a bit of a snooze, honestly. He's been coasting since the Civil War series. But I'm sure I'll get around to seeing some of this some time.
Amen! Ken Burns is history lite, IMO.

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

Ken Burns is who got me into this hobby in the first place. When I saw his Jazz series in 2000, I saw them playing some old phonographs and that got me hooked, first on 78s, and then on the old phonos.

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

believe that most rural families with the means to buy a talking machine would own a Silvertone, or some other machine found in a mail order catalog. Sears pitched a lot of its merchandise toward customers on farms. Their WLS radio station was the source of the "National Barn Dance" program.

If a rural family had a machine from before WWI, chances are it was an Edison.