The Darktown Strutters' Ball by Coon-Sanders Orchestra 1929

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
melvind
Victor IV

The Darktown Strutters' Ball by Coon-Sanders Orchestra 1929

Post by melvind »

Another fun transfer I thought I would share. I was very interested to find that this song originated in 1917 and was first recorded by Sophie Tucker. I'd love to hear that version! This one is from late 1929 and is a really great version, at least to me. It seems nearly every group in the first few decades of the 20th century recorded this song.

[youtubehd]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DghdvHDowzg[/youtubehd]

https://youtu.be/DghdvHDowzg

Hit of the Week
Victor I

Re: The Darktown Strutters' Ball by Coon-Sanders Orchestra 1

Post by Hit of the Week »

Love anything by Coon-Sanders! One of my favorite bands!

Thanx, Melvin!!

Iowa Dale

Mormon S
Victor III
Personal Text:     Martin     "phono_fluff" on instagram

Post by Mormon S »

I have this song in a Columbia 4 minute indestructible cylinder. I can record it whenever I get the chance to, although I dint have a great mic.

I actually really like his version, and coincidentally I recently found an old locally released LP with a great guitar cover of it.

Martin

Viva-voce
Victor III

Post by Viva-voce »

Mormon S wrote:I have this song in a Columbia 4 minute indestructible cylinder. I can record it whenever I get the chance to, although I dint have a great mic.

I actually really like his version, and coincidentally I recently found an old locally released LP with a great guitar cover of it.

Martin
There are YouTube postings of a risqué version of it by the comedienne Belle Barth which opens her early 1960's album "If I embarrass you, tell your friends."

When my sis and I were kids, It was the one album in my parents' collection that was off-limits :)

Steven
Last edited by Viva-voce on Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pathe Logical
Victor II

Post by Pathe Logical »

Another wonderful transfer Dan!

Your choice of graphics and effects, which compliment the music, in your videos always makes for a great final production. The musicians who made up the Coon-Sanders Original Nighthawk Orchestra were certainly a talented group! Thanks for calling attention to the fantastic music this group put out!

You'd probably never guess that I have an extensive collection of Coon-Sanders 78s ;) :D :lol: !!!

Bob Coon (no relation)

melvind
Victor IV

Post by melvind »

Pathé Logical wrote: You'd probably never guess that I have an extensive collection of Coon-Sanders 78s ;) :D :lol: !!!

Bob Coon (no relation)
I have several as well and this one and the next couple I plan to transfer came from you last June!

Pathe Logical
Victor II

Post by Pathe Logical »

I recall selling you a pretty nice stack of 78s at the show, but I didn't remember which ones you took (other than the New Electrobeam Gennett by the Portland group).

Keep up the good work,
Bob