Record storage

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Jillnjeff
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Stumbled into it newbie

Record storage

Post by Jillnjeff »

Hi! What is the best way to store records? I bought a bunch of records from a gentleman on OfferUp, and many don not have protective covering, some have paper sleeves that are deteriorating. I could also use some advice as to how you catagorize them, should I just make piles of the ones I like? Any advice is welcome.

audiophile102
Victor IV
Personal Text: Say to yourself I am so happy hurray!

Re: Record storage

Post by audiophile102 »

Buy new paper sleeves. Search the web and you will find more than one company selling them. Keep the records vertical and it's a good idea to clean them with dish soap and water. Try not to get the label wet.
"You can't take the phonographs nor the money with you, but the contentment the phonographs bring may well make your life better, and happier lives make the world a better place."

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

audiophile102 wrote:Buy new paper sleeves. Search the web and you will find more than one company selling them. Keep the records vertical and it's a good idea to clean them with dish soap and water. Try not to get the label wet.
DON'T use water to clean Edison Diamond Disc records, though! Rubbing alcohol with a cotton pad works well for them. Some use windex, too. Water will destroy them.
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Post by drh »

fran604g wrote:
audiophile102 wrote:Buy new paper sleeves. Search the web and you will find more than one company selling them. Keep the records vertical and it's a good idea to clean them with dish soap and water. Try not to get the label wet.
DON'T use water to clean Edison Diamond Disc records, though! Rubbing alcohol with a cotton pad works well for them. Some use windex, too. Water will destroy them.
But by the same token, DON'T use rubbing alcohol to clean standard shellac 78s! It will damage the surfaces.

If you don't know the difference, aside from bearing the Edison name, diamond discs are noticeably thicker than standard 78s. You can find an illustrative photograph here: https://www.tnt-audio.com/vintage/mono-a-mono_e.html

I prefer to store mine in the generic albums that were sold for the purpose separately or in a package with machines. I number the albums sequentially, log each record into a catalogue, and in the entry for each include a reference number pointing to the album and sleeve number. (I mimic 9-digit zip codes; 12158-0003 is 12" album no. 158, sleeve 3; 10037-1011 is a two-record set in 10" album 37, sleeves 10 and 11.)