Reducing digitisation noise?

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
JHolmesesq
Victor II
Personal Text: Nashville nightingale, sing a little tune for me, croon for me...

Re: Reducing digitisation noise?

Post by JHolmesesq »

I've been tinkering with Audacity recently - what are people's opinions on my latest efforts?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVm_kL8IptM[/youtube]

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

I think that's fairly nice, it's clear, if somewhat lacking bass.

Is that recorded from the horn of vintage phono? If it isn't, I can see why you think the sound is 'tinny' it is somewhat so, if you recorded via line from a modern turntable.

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

Ward Marston is a class act. I've met and enjoyed visits with Ward quite a few times. His work is, of course, top shelf. He's also just a really nice guy and a lot of fun to hang out with!

I still highly suggest Click Repair to anyone looking to make decent transfers. It does a very good job and it's very easy to use with a little practice. I especially like how you can listen to your results "live", adjust accordingly and / or trash the file and start over. Transfers will be their best to begin with by selecting from different sized styli, if you have that luxary. I'm glad I bought the several I did at the time as they've increased considerably in price over the last couple of years. I've never had the patience for Audacity, personally!

Sean

JHolmesesq
Victor II
Personal Text: Nashville nightingale, sing a little tune for me, croon for me...

Post by JHolmesesq »

Wolfe wrote:I think that's fairly nice, it's clear, if somewhat lacking bass.

Is that recorded from the horn of vintage phono? If it isn't, I can see why you think the sound is 'tinny' it is somewhat so, if you recorded via line from a modern turntable.
It was taken via line from my turntable. I may save up some money and buy ClickRepair :)

JHolmesesq
Victor II

Post by JHolmesesq »

I want something like this:
PICCADILLY PLAYERS - IF I HAD YOU.mp3
(2.48 MiB) Downloaded 260 times

This track was given to me by a friend of mine, his restoration is superb! If only I could make all my discs sound as good!

Swing Band Heaven
Victor III

Post by Swing Band Heaven »

Nice transfer. This is the disk I bought a few days before I left the UK and lucky for me it arrived the day before I departed! I carried it VERY carefully in my hand luggage on the plane to L.A. and during our stay there and then on the plane from there to NZ. I was very relieved to get it here and find it still in one piece. I haven't had a chance to play it yet as everything I own is still on route - so thankyou for posting this here as I can at least hear it now. I was told it was a very similar arrangement to the Fred Elizalde recording - which it is. The vocalist isn't as good as Al Bowlly though but I can live with that.

The Picadilly Plyers version was reccorded in London during Sept 1928 and the vocals are by Eddie Grossbart.

Thanks again for posting.

S-B-H
Last edited by Swing Band Heaven on Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

Viva-Tonal wrote:
JHolmesesq wrote:Since it's Summer I've decided that I will set myself a project of digitising one 78 of mine per day. I have an ION deck which I can hook up to my laptop.

At the moment I'm using Audacity to remove my clicks (since it's free!) but the noise removal tool makes the music sound awfully tinny and fake. Does anybody know of any decent (and relatively low budget since I'm a student) programmes to remove noise?

I use Audacity as well....don't know why your transfer has nothing below 150 Hz or so. I remove the big clicks and bangs by hand and have a go at copy/pasting a bit of something only when a bad bit is too large to sort otherwise.

Here's one I did recently with it, from a V++ disc. There is a slight bit of weirdness in the vocal passage which is from where I did a copy/paste and couldn't get it sorted 100%, but still:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVKifTJ9B9o[/youtube]I like the song, relaxing, well recorded too. Thanks!

See what you think of it.

JHolmesesq
Victor II

Post by JHolmesesq »

Swing Band Heaven wrote: I was told it was a very similar arrangement to the Fred Elizalde recording - which it is. The vocalist isn't as good as Al Bowlly though but I can live with that.

The Picadilly Plyers version was reccorded in London during Sept 1928 and the vocals are by Eddie Grossbart.

Thanks again for posting.

S-B-H
SBH - it's not similar, it's identical! Thanks for the information about the vocalist, I had looked in my copy of Rusts and couldn't find it :(

Swing Band Heaven
Victor III

Post by Swing Band Heaven »

LOL! yes it is virtually identical! Although technically the Elizalde version copies the Ray Starita / Picadilly Players version as Brunswick didn't record Elizalde until later - 2 months later in November 1928 I think. There are some minor differences between the two recordings - but then thats just be being hyper critical. Plus the vocalist is no Al Bowlly thats for sure so I will still look out for the Elizalde / Bowlly version which will turn up some day hopefully.

The Ray Starita version was released on Columbia and at this time Columbia disks were of the laminated type which means they have low surface noise and very little crackle. This makes the declicking job alot easier than if it were a later Columbia issue or god forbid HMV which would test any declick software to the max! With such a laminated Columbia disk a light declick and re-EQ and it sounds excellent.

S-B-H

WDC
Victor IV

Post by WDC »

If I had you is a superior transfer. But most of the late 20's Victor records simply lack the necessary quality. The frequency of that particular recording goes easily up to 6 Khz while most others tend to end at 4-5 KHz. But of course, a record in nice condition can be easily ruined too by poor filtering. So, thumbs up for this one!

Each record is so individually different, that you cannot expect to always have superior results. And then we also have the condition problem as well.

I still haven't found anything that serves my filtering needs better than the combination of Audition 3 and Sony NR filters.
Attachments
Irving Mills - At the Prom.mp3
(2.2 MiB) Downloaded 253 times