How to soak record labels off?

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
JHolmesesq
Victor II
Personal Text: Nashville nightingale, sing a little tune for me, croon for me...

How to soak record labels off?

Post by JHolmesesq »

Hi everyone,

I recently got my hands on an E copy of the Bix/Goldkette 1927 classic "Hoosier Sweetheart". I love this record, only I am less than happy with the ugly label that somebody put on there years ago.

Can any members suggest any effective methods of soaking one label off another? Obviously I don't want to damage the precious Victor label too!

Attachments
CIMG4350.JPG

Swing Band Heaven
Victor III

Re: How to soak record labels off?

Post by Swing Band Heaven »

I must admit I always leave labels on even if they are ugly and annoying. For me it would annoy me more to try and take it off and be left with an ugly mark. Bit if anyone has a miricle method for removal then I would like to hear it also.
S-B-H

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

I think first you need to determine the type of glue used. If it's water based, like what was used on the back of postage stamps, it's usually as easy as lightly wetting the added label, and sliding it off once the glue softens, then patting the area dry and allowing the damp area to dry as quickly as posible.
Other glues may require some experimenting to find the right solvent, but before trying any, you first have to try it on a scrap record with the same label from the same era, to make sure it wont effect the printing dyes, paper or shellac.
Being a shellac record, you cant really apply heat safely to assist with it's removal, and tea tree oil which removes most sticky type adhesives might leave a stain if you apply too much and it penetrates the printed surface of the record label.
Last edited by gramophoneshane on Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

I would try using a kneaded eraser, working slowly down to the label. May not get it (residue) completely off.

I don't remove labels either. Unless they're something that can be peeled off easily with a fingernail. Exceptions being individual price stickers like are used at antique malls. I hate looking at those, and sometimes they use stickers that are hard to get off without damage. :x

JHolmesesq
Victor II
Personal Text: Nashville nightingale, sing a little tune for me, croon for me...

Post by JHolmesesq »

Thanks for the idea Shane! The only problem is that the only other example of a record like this with a similar label is the B side of this disc!

I may try the eraser, or perhaps a bit of water. Are Victor labels especially suceptible to bubbling with water like some labels are?

Henry
Victor V

Post by Henry »

What everybody else said. Plus, I have often used naphtha (lighter fluid, a/k/a, e.g. Ronsonol) to dissolve otherwise stubborn cements of various kinds. As suggested, test it first.

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

JHolmesesq wrote: Are Victor labels especially suceptible to bubbling with water like some labels are?
Not that I've noticed, although I've only got a couple dozen Victors like that (and most of those are in Greek), but when I've washed them the labels have only been exposed to water for a minute or so. Luckily Victor used good quality paper and the ink tends to provide a good water barrier as long as it doesn't remain wet for an extended period.

scullylathe
Victor I

Post by scullylathe »

The librarians where I work highly recommend Goo Gone; it's a citrus based product that will dissolve sticker glue and other things without harming what's underneath. It takes a while, but has been used successfully to remove tape, stickers, etc. Not sure if the label will bubble, but it will soften the glue so the sticker will slide off without tearing a hole in the label.

http://www.magicamerican.com/googone/pr ... a30db.aspx