Marconiphone Advertising Record

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
JHolmesesq
Victor II
Personal Text: Nashville nightingale, sing a little tune for me, croon for me...

Marconiphone Advertising Record

Post by JHolmesesq »

Hey everyone, here is one of my latest buys: a Columbia disc advertising Marconiphone. Enjoy!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dQIWovZleI[/youtube]

Lenoirstreetguy
Victor IV

Re: Marconiphone Advertising Record

Post by Lenoirstreetguy »

I love advertising discs! And they enunciate so clearly lest you miss a word of the copy. Marconi's three dot " s" would have sounded like a door buzzer and not the clear tone of later Morse transmitters but that's a small point.

Jim

Swing Band Heaven
Victor III

Post by Swing Band Heaven »

I haven't plyed my copy in a while but as I recall its a very dramatic version of events of the first transatlantic radio broadcast! I have hunted for a copy of the book "A city of sound" which is mentioned on the disk but I have never managed to find a copy :cry:

I can't download the video with my current set up but the flip side of the disk gives samplers of available columbia disks or as they put it "just a common mans choice of records" - I think it includes a vocal version of the "Blue Danube waltz" (Didn't know Strauss wrote lyrics to that one! :lol: ); "Bonnie Mary of Argyle", a song called "Rose mousse" and something that sounds like "The Hiking Seranade"

I got my copy of this record with my 1936 Marconiphone "all wave" radiogram. The gram even came with the original operating instructions which makes it nice and complete.

S-B-H

JHolmesesq
Victor II
Personal Text: Nashville nightingale, sing a little tune for me, croon for me...

Post by JHolmesesq »

There you go, I found a copy for £75 here:

http://www.littlestourbooks.com/book_ca ... 0D&letter=

Swing Band Heaven
Victor III

Post by Swing Band Heaven »

Ha, at £75 they can keep it on their shelf! But at least that proves it exists :D

S-B-H