Please identify record label - 'Disques Pyral' records ?

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
poodling around
Victor V

Please identify record label - 'Disques Pyral' records ?

Post by poodling around »

I am (once again) trying to clear up my gramophone room and I came across a (very heavy) crate of these records with the same 'elephant centre' label.

I have read some things about 'Disques Pyral' on the internet but wonder about this particular label. (There seem to be many different labels associated with this record sleeve design according to what I have seen on the internet ?).

Thanks for any help you can give as always.
Attachments
pd1.jpg
pd2.jpg

CarlosV
Victor IV

Re: Please identify record label - 'Disques Pyral' records ?

Post by CarlosV »

Pyral was a French company that made discs to special order, with small production of each. I have some, one with a recording of a piano piece by some unknown artist, probably to distribute to his friends. I also have some glass-based acetates in Pyral envelopes, but as nothing is written on the record I cannot say if it is indeed Pyral or just inserted in its envelope. I don't know if they ever issued their own production as a normal label. It is possible that yours were some custom-order, as all have the same label.

poodling around
Victor V

CarlosV wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 4:01 pm Pyral was a French company that made discs to special order, with small production of each. I have some, one with a recording of a piano piece by some unknown artist, probably to distribute to his friends. I also have some glass-based acetates in Pyral envelopes, but as nothing is written on the record I cannot say if it is indeed Pyral or just inserted in its envelope. I don't know if they ever issued their own production as a normal label. It is possible that yours were some custom-order, as all have the same label.
Very interesting and appreciated CarlosV.

Having looked at the records the only word I can read (maybe) is 'Mekong', so I guess that they are Vietnamese related.

Two other things seem to relate them to Vietnam, the first is that the instrument sounds like the 'Đing nǎm' - which is played by people in the Vietnam Highlands. The second is that elephants are present in the Highlands. Oh, and maybe the Mekong river is present in the Central Highlands ? (I think so but I am unsure).

So, Vietnam it is (possibly) ........... with records made by Pyral. Woo hoo !!!

Roaring20s
Victor V
Personal Text: Those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who could not hear the music. Nietzsche

Post by Roaring20s »

Here's my under-educated guess according to Google translate and images. :coffee:

The content of the record could be from Laos, as translate read two words from there. The 1947 Lao flag depicts this style Three-headed Elephant. Laos was part of French Indochina.

That's all I can string together from the internet. :geek:

James.

poodling around
Victor V

Roaring20s wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 6:13 pm Here's my under-educated guess according to Google translate and images. :coffee:

The content of the record could be from Laos, as translate read two words from there. The 1947 Lao flag depicts this style Three-headed Elephant. Laos was part of French Indochina.

That's all I can string together from the internet. :geek:

James.
Wow !!! You, my friend, are amazing !!!!

Yes, the 1947 flag is virtually the same

https://www.geographic.org/flags/new1/l ... flags.html

and thanks to you help I now know the sole musical instrument which is played on all the records is called a 'Khaen' !!!

Thank you so very much ! Laos it most certainly is then ! Woo Hoo indeed !!!

Now, how did all those records end up over here ..........................

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

I clearly remember discussing in at least two threads the fact that I also own a pair of Pyral acetate records; the threads were complete of pictures. Summing up: the two records contain on four 33 RPM sides the recording of a wedding that took place in Turin. The live audio of the wedding (church bells, hand claps, the voice of the priest during the ceremony) is overdubbed by the voice of a professional speaker, who comments what's happening, appreciates the dresses of the ladies, the hats of the gentlemen, lists the most distinguished guests, and so on. The jacket of these records is identical to yours.

I ignore how is it possible at all that searching for the word "Pyral" none of these threads is found on the board.

Roaring20s
Victor V
Personal Text: Those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who could not hear the music. Nietzsche

Post by Roaring20s »

poodling around wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 6:36 pm

and thanks to you help I now know the sole musical instrument which is played on all the records is called a 'Khaen' !!!

I tried image searching more of the text, but could not get any more than what I found. :(

poodling around
Victor V

Roaring20s wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 12:39 pm
poodling around wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 6:36 pm

I tried image searching more of the text, but could not get any more than what I found. :(
I really do appreciate your help with this. You have made me very happy indeed with what you have found out already.

Marco mentioned (above) that he has a couple of records which are 33 and third rpm and mine are 78 rpm - so I guess mine were made perhaps in readiness for or fairly soon after the 1947 'new flag event'.

Happy days always !