Disco Gramofono identification

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
CharliePhono
Victor III
Personal Text: "The kerosene record player is not a very efficient device." ~Frank Zappa

Disco Gramofono identification

Post by CharliePhono »

Hi all. I am wanting to determine if these two discs I acquired recently are acoustically or electrically recorded. I am thinking acoustic, but would like to verify. I also would like to know the approximate date(s) of release for the records. I have found little to no information regarding these records online. They are 12-inch discs and in very nice condition. I've not cleaned or played them yet. Any information is appreciated! (paging Inigo!)
Attachments
e9465d6d-cfed-419e-9c29-2ca4ad3394a7neda_01043.jpg
c08d08bc-1894-4de7-a32f-032498e3d60bneda_01046.jpg
5d5432cf-10e8-45ee-96ac-5b0b640cff6fneda_01045.jpg

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Re: Disco Gramofono identification

Post by drh »

Somebody has set up an entry for the Kreisler in Discogs: https://www.discogs.com/release/1347095 ... III-Pavane

It gives the year as 1913. DAHR shows a Victor equivalent, Red Seal 64292, as recorded 12/18/1912. So acoustic, recorded in late 1912 and doubtless released in 1913. https://adp.library.ucsb.edu/index.php/ ... _Amaryllis

Kreisler did a record of the same two selections with orchestra; that one would be electrical, my copy being part of Victor set DM 1070.

Note that the works are two of those Kreisler wrote himself and then passed off under the names of famous composers of earlier generations. Caused a lot of egg to bedeck critical faces once the word finally got out.

The Madrid Band record should be in the Kelly HMV database, but for whatever reason the search function of that resource doesn't seem to be working at the moment. You might want to give it a try later.

CharliePhono
Victor III
Personal Text: "The kerosene record player is not a very efficient device." ~Frank Zappa

Post by CharliePhono »

drh wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:10 pm Somebody has set up an entry for the Kreisler in Discogs: https://www.discogs.com/release/1347095 ... III-Pavane

It gives the year as 1913. DAHR shows a Victor equivalent, Red Seal 64292, as recorded 12/18/1912. So acoustic, recorded in late 1912 and doubtless released in 1913. https://adp.library.ucsb.edu/index.php/ ... _Amaryllis

Kreisler did a record of the same two selections with orchestra; that one would be electrical, my copy being part of Victor set DM 1070.

Note that the works are two of those Kreisler wrote himself and then passed off under the names of famous composers of earlier generations. Caused a lot of egg to bedeck critical faces once the word finally got out.

The Madrid Band record should be in the Kelly HMV database, but for whatever reason the search function of that resource doesn't seem to be working at the moment. You might want to give it a try later.
Thank you very much!

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Post by drh »

You're welcome! I just checked Kelly again, and it seems to be back up and running. Your disk is dated April 12, 1916--again, acoustic.

CharliePhono
Victor III

Post by CharliePhono »

drh wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 4:35 pm You're welcome! I just checked Kelly again, and it seems to be back up and running. Your disk is dated April 12, 1916--again, acoustic.
Again, my sincere thanks for not only the information, but also the (new to me) resources!

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

I arrived too late, but I was too suggest the same... The Kelly database is invaluable! These are beautiful records. I love the Madrid Band. This Maestro Ricardo Villa was a very famous director and founded that band in 1909, and later carried them to a high standard of playing, even symphonic music. There are a lot of 1929-1932 magnificent Odeon electrical recordings of the band playing concert pieces from the heyday of the band. Ricardo Villa set the standard very high! He died in 1935 at the early age of 61. The band continues, but I believe it hasn't yet had any director as famous as Villa.
Inigo

CharliePhono
Victor III

Post by CharliePhono »

Inigo wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:43 am I arrived too late, but I was too suggest the same... The Kelly database is invaluable! These are beautiful records. I love the Madrid Band. This Maestro Ricardo Villa was a very famous director and founded that band in 1909, and later carried them to a high standard of playing, even symphonic music. There are a lot of 1929-1932 magnificent Odeon electrical recordings of the band playing concert pieces from the heyday of the band. Ricardo Villa set the standard very high! He died in 1935 at the early age of 61. The band continues, but I believe it hasn't yet had any director as famous as Villa.
Thank you kindly, Inigo! I appreciate your knowledge of the artist(s). Cheers!

Charlie