Aileen Stanley

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Jmcmahan67
Victor Jr

Aileen Stanley

Post by Jmcmahan67 »

One of my favorite early 20th century female singers is Aileen Stanley. She had a lot of success with both singles and duets (especially with Billy Murray). My favorite single of hers is “Chicago” (1923). My favorite duet is her and Billy Murray singing “Oh! You Beautiful Baby” (1922). I really love that duet because of how well their voices blend together. Do you appreciate Aileen Stanley more for her work doing singles or for her duets? If so, what is your favorite song?

phonograph guy3435
Victor I
Personal Text: edison amberola guy

Re: Aileen Stanley

Post by phonograph guy3435 »

before i got =into the hobby of 1910s music and records, I listened to a lot of 20s-40s records and I heard a lot of Aileen Stanley songs. i think her duets with billy Murray were nice.

FredSugarHall_fan
Victor Jr
Personal Text: An enthusiastic collector of dance band 78rpm records from the 1920s and 1930s. I love Fred Hall!

Re: Aileen Stanley

Post by FredSugarHall_fan »

I can't say I've listened to too much of Stanley's material, but from what I have listened to, I am pleased by. Her voice is very clear and sharp on all of the recordings featuring her that I have heard. That said, my favorite is her duet with Billy Murray on "Does She Love Me? Positively--Absolutely". It's a very sweet and charming song with good orchestral backing.