Unusual, Odd or Rare Labels

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Lenoirstreetguy
Victor IV

Re: Unusual, Odd or Rare Labels

Post by Lenoirstreetguy »

Oh heck, let's have Canadian Day! :) The next on our agenda are lateral sides. Here's the Canadian Columbia patriotic label from World War One. These turn up with surprising regularity so you will note it's in much better condition that the two rather beat up verticals.
DSC01706.JPG
Now the next one isn't rare at all, but you all might not have seen one. This is the exceptionally wordy Canadian Berliner label from the early teens. Could they have possibly got any more verbiage on one label? Herbert Berliner wanted you to be sure to note that the record came from Montreal and NOT Camden. Before this time the records were pressed in brown shellac so it was more obvious.
DSC01711.JPG
Last, we go to the Eaton's Catalogue of the 1930's:
an Aurora. Eaton's was a Canadian institution: a huge retailing empire with large department stores and mail order catalogue. The catalogue and the Bible were said to be the two books found in every Canadian home. I'm not sure about the the Bible but I certainly can vouch for the catalogue. The recordings on Aurora came from either RCA Victor or Brunswick/ARC. The sides were either hot jazz or " old time favourites" and religious numbers. That label is just as yellow as it looks. This one is really by the Washboard Rhythm Kings and it's an alternate take to the issue as it appeared in the Victor list
Jim
DSC01713.JPG
Last edited by Lenoirstreetguy on Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WDC
Victor IV

Post by WDC »

Nice labels, I especially like that Canadian Columbia.

Neophone
Victor III

Post by Neophone »

Wolfe,

Playerphone was a client label of the old U.S.Rex which existed from 1913 to around 1917 when it was bought by the Imperial Phonograph Co. They were vertically recorded discs that possibly used a sapphire point similar to that used by Pathé in order to circumvent the Victor, Columbia and Edison patents.

Rex also pressed Keen-O-Phone, Mozart & Phono-Cut

The above information is from Barr's Almost Complete 78rpm Record Dating Guide

I have a Mozart, Lord knows where it is! I'll have to find it to post a photo.

Regards,
John

Listening to the Victrola fifteen minutes a day will alter and brighten your whole life.
Use each needle only ONCE!

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

Neophone wrote:Wolfe,

Playerphone was a client label of the old U.S.Rex which existed from 1913 to around 1917 when it was bought by the Imperial Phonograph Co. They were vertically recorded discs that possibly used a sapphire point similar to that used by Pathé in order to circumvent the Victor, Columbia and Edison patents.

Regards,
John
Well, that's good to know, thanks for the info. The Playerphone is hard to play without skipping, like some Pathé's. Unless you have the right stylus.

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

Neophone wrote:Wolfe,

Regards,
John
Well, that's good to know, thanks for the info. The Playerphone is hard to play without skipping, like some Pathé's. Unless you have the right stylus.

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

Here'a a few for the avatar collection, if MordEth is interested to gussy them up.

A brown Canadian Victor, like was mentioned above.Image

Early vertical Okeh.

Black Swan, pretty rare.

Blue Silvertone.

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Post by MordEth »

OK—I now have a lot more labels that I will probably cut out shortly, after I go and do a few things that do not involve me being at a computer. ;)

Thanks for all of the label images; we are going to end up with a ton of record label transparencies and stock avatars of labels.

— MordEth

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

Lenoirstreetguy
Victor IV

Post by Lenoirstreetguy »

Note the catalogue number of that brown Berliner? That is one of the Canadian double sided records that were issued before Victor bowed to the inevitable and doubled the popular list. Herbert Berliner decided to double the catalogue and added a prefix to the Victor single sided number.

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Post by MordEth »

Lenoirstreetguy wrote:Note the catalogue number of that brown Berliner?
Despite cutting it out in Photoshop, I missed really paying attention to it; thank you for pointing it out (both to me and other guests and members who might be as unobservant as I am at times).

Thanks again,

MordEth
Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

jazzgirl1920s
Victor Jr

Post by jazzgirl1920s »

I like the Hollywood label. Here is one from my collection of a rare jazz recording:
Attachments
carlallenhollywoodlabel.jpg
carlallenhollywoodlabel.jpg (210.98 KiB) Viewed 2864 times