Thanks - Bing Crosby

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
richardh

Thanks - Bing Crosby

Post by richardh »

As David has added the Melotone record label of this Bing Crosby disk I thought I would add the tune as well. Classic Crosby from 1933. The tune is "Thanks" and this transfer is actually taken from an Australian laminated pressing.

http://www.box.net/shared/1sxqd5porg

RJ 8-)

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Re: Thanks - Bing Crosby

Post by gramophoneshane »

Ah...Bing in his prime! His best stuff was from the early to mid 30's IMO.
Do the Oz pressings differ much from the UK pressing of this period?

richardh

Post by richardh »

I think the Australian Columbia's are better because they are a laminate construction using a quieter surface finish on top of a coarse filler. The UK Columbia pressings of the late 1920's onwards were standard pressing using a much noisier shellac mix. The latter was certainly more durable for playing with steel needles but it isn't as smooth as those aussie pressings.

This recording also has an odd groove size as I am using my largest needle tip but it still sounds like I should be using a larger one. Oh well, its a good enough transfer, but is not as good as it could be.

RJ 8-)

richardh

Post by richardh »

Here is a you tube video of this song as used in the film "The Aviator". This is where I first heard the tune. From the quality of the sound I would say that either the original master survives somewhere or a first class vinyl pressing taken from it. Just after is the song "Avalon" played by the Benny Goodman trio. And 6 minutes is a modern recording of "Happy Feet" set in a set accurately reproducing the Cocoanut Grove in the Ambassador Hotel, LA. MAGIC :)

This clip is interesting as it was shot using an updated method of the 2 color film process used in the late 20's / early 30's. Just look at the way the reds are emphasised and how greens look a bit odd - especially the grass in the golf scene!

RJ 8-)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogBXog6utoM[/youtube]

Wolfe
Victor V

Post by Wolfe »

richardh wrote:I think the Australian Columbia's are better because they are a laminate construction using a quieter surface finish on top of a coarse filler. The UK Columbia pressings of the late 1920's onwards were standard pressing using a much noisier shellac mix. The latter was certainly more durable for playing with steel needles but it isn't as smooth as those aussie pressings.

This recording also has an odd groove size as I am using my largest needle tip but it still sounds like I should be using a larger one. Oh well, its a good enough transfer, but is not as good as it could be.

RJ 8-)
I think it sounds pretty decent. If this is 1933, then Bing was still on Brunswick. Those Brunswick recordings of his are sonically a very mixed bag.

I agree with the above poster who claims this as Bing's best period.

WDC
Victor IV

Post by WDC »

I really like Bing's early numbers before he became to schmaltzy. Even the slower numbers like this goodie here have a lot more jazzy character.