Irene Bordoni.

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Viva-Tonal
Victor II

Irene Bordoni.

Post by Viva-Tonal »

Both sides of Columbia 1983-D, featuring two songs she sang in the 1929 film PARIS, her first talkie, which also starred Jason Robards Senior and ZaSu Pitts.

I found this record at Gregory's Antiques in Kahoka, Missouri, back in 1977, still in the original sleeve, in which I've photographed it.

Recorded 22 September 1929. Bordoni is accompanied by Rube Bloom on piano on both sides.

Click on the pictures!

'My lover (Master of my heart)', matrix W.149032-2:

'I wonder what is really on his mind', matrix W.149033-2:

Here's the text on the sleeves you can't read from my pictures.

On the front, left column: 'Columbia Needles/To obtain uniformly satisfactory results, use only Columbia Needles and use each needle only once. Study your records. Study your room. Note on each record the kind of Columbia Needle which gives the most pleasing result, and always use that type of needle. Columbia Records should be played at a speed of 78 revolutions per minute.'

Right column: 'Care of Your Phonograph/If this record does not play perfectly on your phonograph, ask the dealer from whom you purchesed the instrument to send some one to examine it. All makes of phonographs occasionally need slight adjustments.'

At the bottom: 'COLUMBIA New Process Records, made the new way--electrically, Viva-tonal recording, are the culmination of many years of experience and experiment. They represent the highest achievement in record manufacture, being free from distracting surface sounds. They are the records without scratch.

Every type of worth while music is recorded upon Columbia Records, from the latest hit to the enduring works of the immortals. all recordings are by artists or organizations recognized as finished interpreters of that particular style of musical composition.

Insist upon records that carry the Columbia trade mark--the famous "Magic Notes."'

Under COLUMBIA PHONOGRAPH COMPANY, INC., NEW YORK, it says 'PRINTED IN U. S. A.//Schubert Centennial--Organized by Columbia Phonograph Co., Inc.//Presenting the Centennial Editions of Schubert Symphonies, Songs, Sonatas, Trios, Quartets and Quintets.'

The rear of the sleeve features several Viva-tonal models of the time. Left to right, they are the Columbia-Kolster model 902, the portable model 163, and the console models 603 and 980.

Under the 902, it reads 'Columbia-Kolster Viva-tonal MODEL No. 902/The Columbia-Kolster Viva-tonal, The Electric Reproducing Phonograph, "like life itself", is equipped with an "electric pick-up" of new design, the Kolster Power Cone Speaker, and Cunningham Tubes. It plays records, yet its volume can be exactly controlled, by a twist of your fingers, from a whisper to a fortissimo.'

Underneath that, it reads 'THE fine art of musical reproduction finds its perfect expression in the new Viva-tonal Columbia Phonograph. Every modulation of tone, from the highest treble to the deepest bass, falls upon the ear exactly as the artist rendered it. It is "like life itself."

In every Viva-tonal Columbia, there is the same careful attention to detail, seen or unseen, whether it be for ornament, convenience, or service. In this marvelous music creation, the art of the cabinetmaker joins hands with the mechanical genius that has at last achieved a perfect instrument for reproducing recorded sound.

To hear a Viva-tonal Columbia is to desire it. To desire it is to own it, for there is a Viva-tonal Columbia model to fit the requirements of every home, whether it be a question of space limitations or a matter of price.

These range from the new Viva-tonal Columbia Portable, to the imposing Columbia-Kolster Viva-tonal. The Electric Reproducing Phonograph, "like life itself."'

Under the Columbia logo at right: 'The Columbia Fine-Art Series of Musical Masterworks, Complete Symphonies, and Other Great Works of Concert and Chamber Music.

In this notable series there is made available to America's music-loving public an extensive program of the world's masterpieces of music, typified by the symphonic poem, the concerto, the sonata and the various forms of chamber music. The list includes the best-loved symphonies of the world's greatest composers.

These works are recorded in as many records to each composition as the work requires to present a complete or approximately complete exposition. Each set is musically an authoritative work of art. A permanent record album encloses each composition, recorded on three or more double-disc records.

Ask your dealer for Columbia Masterworks Supplements.'