Duke Ellington on Victor 24755.

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Viva-Tonal
Victor II

Duke Ellington on Victor 24755.

Post by Viva-Tonal »

Hey, they're going to immortalise him on a special 'District of Columbia' quarter soon....why not have some of his music here?

These two 1934 sides are from a virtually mint Canadian pressing (batwing label and all!) I won in a Nauction a few years ago. Both are Ellington originals.

'Solitude'

'Delta serenade'

richardh

Re: Duke Ellington on Victor 24755.

Post by richardh »

Two nice sides from Ellington here. Just right for a late Saturday evening listening (UK time!). I enjoyed listening to these. I think "Solitude" is my favourite.

Hey guys these are great for listening to with a beer or two. :)

EDIT: if you have anymore like this, i'd love to hear them
RJ 8-)

Viva-Tonal
Victor II

Post by Viva-Tonal »

Very little Ellington of the early 1930s. I have 22800, a 1931 record with 'The mystery song' on the A side, and a Mills Blue Rhythm Band cut called 'Moanin' on the flip, and two moderately trashed copies of 22528, 'Three little words' b/w 'Ring dem bells'.

What few others I have are from 1938 or later. Glad you like these though. Thanks!

Henry
Victor V

Post by Henry »

Great stuff---many thanks for posting! One thing the Ellington sidemen had to learn how to do was to play SOFT---as in "pianiss-iss-issimo"---and molto sostenuto. This is a very demanding thing to do on a reed or brass instrument! But it's an essential part of the unique Ellington sound that sets his band apart from all others in jazz during this period, and makes his sound instantly identifiable.

Viva-Tonal
Victor II

Post by Viva-Tonal »

You're welcome! It'll take me a day or two to get to the record, but I'll upload that side on 22800 next. It has a LOT of controlled soft playing for at least the first half of it, and gradually builds as it goes along.