Amelia Earhart, from a 1932 radio broadcast.

Discussions on Records, Recording, & Artists
Viva-Tonal
Victor II

Amelia Earhart, from a 1932 radio broadcast.

Post by Viva-Tonal »

One of the earliest collections of records I ever bought as a youngster was a small 'album' of Little Wonder records. I paid $15 for it, at an antique shop in Junction City, Kansas, in the autumn of 1975. Some of the pockets were a bit torn, and not only was the album not 'filled', some of the records were not LWs.

In the back of it were some 'Durium Junior' 4" discs, and then there was this curiosity.

I don't recall whether the man who ran the antique shop had a copy of the book, or whether I thought to ask him about it when I had the chance. I still have never found a first edition (or any other) of the book mentioned on the back of this record, though it would be nice to have one to match the record with.

Click on the image of the front of the record to hear it.

richardh

Re: Amelia Earhart, from a 1932 radio broadcast.

Post by richardh »

Now that is an interesting recording! Even more intersting is the fact that it is a braodcast from London....does that mean this is taken from a short wave radio broadcast? If so the sound quality is good considering.

I think that there was quite a bit of listening accross the atlantic as I have a shellac disk from 1936 of King Edwards abdication speach. This was taken from a short wave radio broadcast direct from London popped onto a disk and issued in the US. The sound quality on that is quite good to...particulaly as a very quiet form of shellac was used and there is very little surface noise.

RJ 8-)