modifying columbia tone arm for better tracking

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Re: modifying columbia tone arm for better tracking

Post by JerryVan »

Why would you want to change this into something it was never intended to be? My advice is leave it alone and appreciate it for what it is. Otherwise, no matter how nice a job you do, it will be a cobbled machine of lesser value and a ruined piece of history. Why must "collectors" buy something for its historical and unique qualities.... then change it into something different?

I know some will disagree.

De Soto Frank
Victor V

Post by De Soto Frank »

Some of us are tinkerers too... :)

I would not advocate making irrevocable changes to a machine, but if there small improvements that can be made, why not ?

:monkey:
De Soto Frank

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

De Soto Frank wrote:I would not advocate making irrevocable changes to a machine, but if there small improvements that can be made, why not ?
I agree, if you can make an improvement that will help tracking errors and resultant record wear, what's the harm? That said, as has already been noted, Columbias (grafonolas and outside horn disc machines) tend to be rough on records to begin with and I don't think much could be done to improve anything there. The two I own are mainly dispayed and rarely played.

Sean

mikejk
Victor II

Post by mikejk »

JerryVan wrote:Why would you want to change this into something it was never intended to be? My advice is leave it alone and appreciate it for what it is. Otherwise, no matter how nice a job you do, it will be a cobbled machine of lesser value and a ruined piece of history. Why must "collectors" buy something for its historical and unique qualities.... then change it into something different?

I know some will disagree.
JerryVan,
Sorry, but I don't appreciate your comments. I do not wish to be lumped into a group of "collectors" who don't understand and appreciate the historical importance of their phonographs. If you ever had the opportunity to be in my home and see what I have done with what I have here, you would understand my displeasure with what you have suggested.

Mike

Player-Tone
Victor II

Post by Player-Tone »

Adjusting the tracking angle sounds like a good idea to me, I did something similar to that last year with my Victrola arm: (http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... =7&t=13306)

If you can do this without permanently altering the arm then by all means give it a try! I don't see how a reversible modification that doesn't damage the original parts and helps to preserve records deserves to be called "a cobbled machine of lesser value and a ruined piece of history".
-Mike

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

Player-Tone wrote:Adjusting the tracking angle sounds like a good idea to me, I did something similar to that last year with my Victrola arm: (http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... =7&t=13306)

If you can do this without permanently altering the arm then by all means give it a try! I don't see how a reversible modification that doesn't damage the original parts and helps to preserve records deserves to be called "a cobbled machine of lesser value and a ruined piece of history".
True: the fact remains, though, that these modifications are far harder to do on a Columbia arm…

Bill

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

I reread JerryVan's comments and believe they were respectfully stated and I personally don't disagree with him. A modification that is easily reversed is fine but I'll always prefer original. Jerry Blais

De Soto Frank
Victor V

Post by De Soto Frank »

And I will certainly agree that the Columbia attachment system does NOT lend itself to "kit-bashing", as the model railroaders call it...
De Soto Frank

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Jerry B. wrote:I reread JerryVan's comments and believe they were respectfully stated and I personally don't disagree with him. A modification that is easily reversed is fine but I'll always prefer original. Jerry Blais
Jerry B.,

Thanks. Yes, I did mean for my comments to be respectfully stated. I too think any reversible change would be fine.

Victrolacollector
Victor V

Post by Victrolacollector »

If you break the joint on the Columbia arm, it can be repaired. I know Shenendoah Restorations does work on these.

Also, I have a E-5 upright, I would love to sell. It has a rebuilt reproducer, 3 spring motor. But a cabinet that never could be refinished. I tried everything on it. It is ugly dark brown eww...

As far a good beautiful upright, thats my Magnola.