Bamboo Needles, Wax and other lubricants

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
barnettrp21122
Victor IV
Personal Text: "Did you ever stop to think that pleasure is a duty?" (Victor sales pamphlet)

Re: Bamboo Needles, Wax and other lubricants

Post by barnettrp21122 »

I've tried the Minwax wood hardener with no apparent improvement. I didn't thin it, though, and maybe I could have soaked the bamboo longer.
Bob
"Comparison is the thief of joy" Theodore Roosevelt

His Master's Voice Automatic 1A Exponential Gramophone Demonstration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi70G1Rzqpo

ALVES
Victor O

Post by ALVES »

Thinning it should improve absorption as in my experience the stuff is lightly gloopy ...
It seams that traditional doping means soaking for long period so I would suggest experimentation.

ALVES
Victor O

Post by ALVES »

An update in record lubrication. Now I have had my Expert machine a few months and only using Bamboo , i have had generally very good results , especially after cleaning records .. I have found with worn and stubborn records that a light application of microcrystaline wax can improve traction immensely ,but need experimentation . Certainly it is true that you need to train some records to play with fibre .

chikukai
Victor Jr

Post by chikukai »

novkev24 wrote:
Guest wrote:I use Ibota natural wax for polishing and lubricating 78rpm, which really works with fiber needles.
Hi,

Where do I go about purchasing Ibota wax?

-Kevin
http://www.ebay.com/usr/hmv203?_trksid= ... 1543.l2754

hmv203 has Ibota wax powder. I have never tried it myself, but have bought bamboo needles from this seller with which I was quite happy, very well made.