Happy Goop story...

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
wjw
Victor II

Happy Goop story...

Post by wjw »

Back in April, Oceangoer 1 and I traded a few PMs about his tooled leather panel credenza he was restoring. The record door panels were almost black, showing little of the color that the panels on the horn doors had. Goop did wonders for him.
I have owned a dour looking TLP Credenza for years that I figured had no paint left on the small panels because it had been buffed away by paste waxing, harsh cleaning or other. Finally tried some Goop and was surprised that the polychrome effects were hidden by a coating that had blackened over time! Thank you, Oceangoer 1!
While the horn doors are tooled leather, the three perimeter panels that had blackened have a much darker backround color and are of a different texture. Not the same material.- Bill
Attachments
Right side record door panel
Right side record door panel
Applying the Goop. Here comes the color...
Applying the Goop. Here comes the color...
Ah, that's better!
Ah, that's better!

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Re: Happy Goop story...

Post by fran604g »

WOW! What an amazing transformation. I never would have tried this. Thanks for sharing your results.

Best,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

GOOP is great stuff!!! And it won't hurt any painted finish, just cleans off 100 yrs. of cigar smoke, cooking grease and dirt...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

wjw
Victor II

Post by wjw »

Fran, without another forum member sharing his results, I would have never thought to try it.

Curt, you're right. Never saw any color on the brush or wipe-down rag (other than dirt).

Horn door panels were fine so i didn't goop these.- Bill

dutchman
Victor IV

Post by dutchman »

Goop work ! :D

Bill K

Oceangoer1
Victor III
Personal Text: "I dreamt of Paris again last night"-Roger

Post by Oceangoer1 »

Gorgeous! I will use yours as the model for what mine should look like!

I'm still working on mine, and am hoping to do some finish work as soon as it cools down here. I too noticed the difference in materials on the horn doors' leather versus the other 3 panels. It seems, once cleaned, that the horn door leather has a reddish light brown background while the other backgrounds are much darker, even after being cleaned.

Bruce
Victor III

Post by Bruce »

Wow that cleaned up very nicely - good job

Bruce

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

Another GOOD thing about GOOP... if you are wearing your favorite shirt while cleaning a motor and get grease on it, GOOP will take it out...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

stevenhman
Victor I

Post by stevenhman »

Curt A wrote:Another GOOD thing about GOOP... if you are wearing your favorite shirt while cleaning a motor and get grease on it, GOOP will take it out...
Hahaha!

The leather looks really great after cleaning. How long did you leave it on?

I seem to have a slight residue left over after using Goop, I've been wiping it off with a damp paper towel. Did you/anyone have a similar experience?

wjw
Victor II

Post by wjw »

stevenhman wrote:
Curt A wrote:Another GOOD thing about GOOP... if you are wearing your favorite shirt while cleaning a motor and get grease on it, GOOP will take it out...
Hahaha!

The leather looks really great after cleaning. How long did you leave it on?

I seem to have a slight residue left over after using Goop, I've been wiping it off with a damp paper towel. Did you/anyone have a similar experience?
I let it sit a few minutes before working it with the brush. Am sure there was a residue but I wiped it down with some mineral oil afterward anyway. After all this there is still a white residue in the "nooks and crannies" probably the result of a paste wax job.