Home made fiber gears - anyone ever tried?

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
burke
Victor I

Home made fiber gears - anyone ever tried?

Post by burke »

The hunt continues for a replacement gear, but a bit of searching here suggests that delrin might be a material to try.

This site sells rods that are exactly the diameter I need and a one foot rod would leave room for many, many errors :)

https://www.aircraftspruce.ca/catalog/m ... rinrod.php

Anyone ever done this?

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Re: Home made fiber gears - anyone ever tried?

Post by Lucius1958 »

Do you have gear cutting machinery?

Bill

burke
Victor I

Post by burke »

I do not, but I figure if a guy can reproduce the Antikythera mechanism with just a file, I have a shot with one gear made out of plastic. :)

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

burke wrote:I do not, but I figure if a guy can reproduce the Antikythera mechanism with just a file, I have a shot with one gear made out of plastic. :)
Wow: I hadn't heard about that feat. Is there a link?

Bill

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Post by Phono-Phan »

I used a black Delrin sheet to have gears made. McMaster-Carr is a good source. A custom gear shop, Edgerton Gear, used the material to make the gears. The precision of cutting the teeth is vital. Using a file may not get the necessary results.

burke
Victor I

Post by burke »

Lucius1958 wrote:
burke wrote:I do not, but I figure if a guy can reproduce the Antikythera mechanism with just a file, I have a shot with one gear made out of plastic. :)
Wow: I hadn't heard about that feat. Is there a link?

Bill
Something I saw on PBS I think or maybe Discovery, but sometime ago and I'm afraid I don't recall the specifics.

burke
Victor I

Post by burke »

Phono-Phan wrote:I used a black Delrin sheet to have gears made. McMaster-Carr is a good source. A custom gear shop, Edgerton Gear, used the material to make the gears. The precision of cutting the teeth is vital. Using a file may not get the necessary results.
BTW - this is only a plan C in case I absolutely can't find either the spindle or a reasonably priced N0. 175 motor with a decent gear. I would also look for Canadian sources for both the material and perhaps as you suggest a fabricator. Shipping often far exceeds any sensible amount when getting stuff made south of the border.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-05-27 at 9.36.37 AM.png
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

burke wrote:The hunt continues for a replacement gear, but a bit of searching here suggests that delrin might be a material to try.

This site sells rods that are exactly the diameter I need and a one foot rod would leave room for many, many errors :)

Anyone ever done this?

I guess I've come to the conversation late. What is the gear you're needing? Can you show a photo of it?

burke
Victor I

Post by burke »

JerryVan wrote:
burke wrote:The hunt continues for a replacement gear, but a bit of searching here suggests that delrin might be a material to try.

Anyone ever done this?

I guess I've come to the conversation late. What is the gear you're needing? Can you show a photo of it?
Here is the one I'm looking for:
http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... =9&t=35676
...and here [first and only answer to OP's question] is the little Paillard its out of:
http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... =2&t=33220
As mentioned there are still folks looking and this is a last resort, hail mary pass, if the last paillard fiber on earth was sold last year ... option :)