Another one saved from the dump!

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Nick Charles
Victor Jr

Another one saved from the dump!

Post by Nick Charles »

I originally purchased this Victor Model XIa Type M at an auction for parts. It sat for a while as I worked on restoring an Edison W-19. The longer it sat, the more I thought about it, and finally I decided I would try to refurbish it. The finish was mostly off, as was the stain in many areas. The veneer and backing boards were peeling up and ruffled on both sides and the doors. The rear legs were broken off (see pic), and in general it was a mess. The beastie fought me all the way, but in the end I'd rather like to think it was worth the effort. See pics.
Attachments
After
After
Before
Before

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Re: Another one saved from the dump!

Post by Jerry B. »

Nicely done! I'm sure it was a labor of love and worth the effort. Jerry Blais

Nick Charles
Victor Jr

Post by Nick Charles »

Thanks for the kind words, Jerry. I had my doubts at times. The most crazy thing about the restoration was that the reproducer mica gasket was in pliable, perfect condition and reusable when I rebuilt the reproducer!

Henry
Victor V

Post by Henry »

Absolutely stunning! Amazing, too, about the sound box condition; it must have had divine protection, compared to the cabinet. Nice work, indeed.

I own a VV-XI model G, slightly earlier than yours, and I'm puzzled by the three holes in the back wall (left) of your turntable compartment, near the needle tray. Any idea what they're for?

Nick Charles
Victor Jr

Post by Nick Charles »

Good eyes :shock: There was a light mounted there, two screw holes and electric cord hole. There was also a cabinet light. I decided not to replace the lights as I'll let the next owner determine whether they want to rewire and re-install the lights. Can't believe you spotted them. Thanks for the encouragement.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

Nice save... from a piece of crap to a nicely preserved machine... Congrats.

The three holes in the back might be where an optional light attachment was mounted...

I see you already answered that question, just before I sent my response. Take a pic of the light and if it's an original, it might be worth re-wiring and re-installing it...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Nick Charles
Victor Jr

Post by Nick Charles »

Yes, the lights are original, but as I don't have room for another, sadly, this one has to go to a new home. A small condo with 5 console models is getting a bit cramped. Hmm, maybe the missus won't miss that old treadle machine. . .

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

After all that work to get this back to respectable, it would be a shame to let it go for whatever you might get. I'm with you, who needs a treadle sewing machine, unless it's a Columbia treadle phonograph...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Beautiful restoration! Now we can see what they looked like new.

I'd say find someone else and spread the addiction if you can't keep it--a pity to scrap your treadle sewing machine, that's perhaps the only sewing machine ever made that doesn't look like modern plastic junk!

Great score on the VV-XI too. They are pretty cool!

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Post by Phono-Phan »

Great job!! You can be very proud of your talents bringing this phonograph back to life.