VE-XVI resistors and connectors

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Jellybeans Galore
Victor Jr

VE-XVI resistors and connectors

Post by Jellybeans Galore »

Several years ago, my now late father-in-law picked up a VE-XVI for me. It was dirt cheap because it had been nearly gutted and turned into a media console or something tragic like that. For the past few years I’ve been trying to find parts to piece it back together, and I’ve been able to find a universal motor, but I still don’t have a resistor bank. My question is if there is anything I can use in place of the resistor bank (until I find a replacement) so I don’t kill my motor?
I also have the original wiring harness, but it’s in really bad shape, so I have to replace it. I’m not as worried about that, except I’m missing one of the connector plugs (see photo). Does anyone know if there is any kind of modern connector I could use that would work?
Attachments
IMG_5386.JPG
IMG_5386.JPG (57.34 KiB) Viewed 1093 times

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Re: VE-XVI resistors and connectors

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

If the voltage at which the motor operates and the average current draw is known, I would replace the resistors bank with a transformer. Actually, I would definitively replace it, as it is much more efficient and safe than a bank of resistors.

Coming to the connector, I figure that the two in picture are not yours. Quite amazingly they look like female europlug connectors, but it's impossible to tell as you didn't provide any kind of measure, and I can hardly figure europlugs being used in the States. However, here you have the specs (forget the 45° angle as the older ones didn't have it).