Frustrated With Felt! Please Help!

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
jsimmons0331
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Jim S

Re: Frustrated With Felt! Please Help!

Post by jsimmons0331 »

I used a very similar process on my Victor III turntable.

Materials
1) Heavy card stock - I used a gift box you get around Xmas from Dept Stores.
2) 100% Wool felt of appropriate color
3) Elmer's spray Adhesive
4) Victor Turntable

My turntable is the cast iron with 4 rather large holes in it. My initial felting involved applying a polyester felt directly to the turntable. I didn't like the results at all. So I tried again as follows:

1) Ironed the felt with a steam iron to remove all wrinkles.
2) Cut the felt to a square an inch or two larger than the turntable (10" for the Victor III)
3) Cut a cardboard square slightly smaller than the felt.
4) Place the felt on a flat surface.
5) Spray a good wet coating of the adhesive on one side of the cardboard.
6) Quickly flip the cardboard - adhesive side down - and lay it centered on the felt.
7) Firmly and evenly press the cardboard to the felt. I set the turntable, upside down, on the cardboard until the adhesive was dry.
8) Using a NEW single edge razor, carefully cut around the turntable edge while pressing the turntable to hold it steady. I cut mine so that the felt is exactly the same size as the turntable - no overhang.
9) Sprayed a light coat of adhesive to the cast iron turntable.
10) Applied the felt (cardboard side down of course) to the turntable and let it dry.
11) Used an exacto knife to carefully cut the spindle hole.

Photo of finished turntable attached.
Attachments
Turntable-Felt.jpg

Dave D
Victor IV

Post by Dave D »

Looks good. I like your idea of gluing the felt to the cardboard first. I have a Columbia to do and will use this technique.
Dave D

jsimmons0331
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Jim S

Post by jsimmons0331 »

One additional thing I did after the felt/cardboard was trimmed - The exposed edge of the cardboard needed to be darkened (the cardboard was white). So I just darkened the cut edge of the cardboard with a dark green sharpie I had laying around so it isn't visible from the side. I suppose if I could find a dark green cardboard that might have eliminated this extra detail step.

And I'll mention I found 100% Merino wool craft-weight felt at weircrafts.com online. They have many colors, and the one pictured on my turntable is "Fern".

I actually bought a pre-cut turntable felt for the 10" Victor turntable, but what I got was only 9 ¾" in diameter so it looked wrong on the cast iron with ⅛ inch of the steel showing. That's when I decided to just make my own.

Jim S

cheryla
Victor II
Personal Text: YouTube: Dyslexic Genius Hurt

Post by cheryla »