Need Help With Friction Brake ( Victor #1918 )

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
SSBN 657
Victor O

Need Help With Friction Brake ( Victor #1918 )

Post by SSBN 657 »

The brake has a clip that needs to be positioned properly to function correctly. The clip has popped off of its proper home. Could someone please post a pic of this brake assembled correctly. I would appreciate it greatly. Thanks

Tim
Attachments
IMG_0527.JPG

Wes K
Victor I

Re: Need Help With Friction Brake ( Victor #1918 )

Post by Wes K »

I pontificate on the virtues of this break on youtube here https://youtu.be/7YFWX8TmzRA

I do not recall seeing that spring, maybe mine was missing?

SSBN 657
Victor O

Post by SSBN 657 »

Wes

I think yours may be missing. The circle of the clip was around the spring by the first pivot joint. The opposite end of the clip was dangling.

Tim

SSBN 657
Victor O

Post by SSBN 657 »

Wes
Upon further review, it seems to work fine without the clip. Maybe the clip doesn't belong there.
Tim

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

That's an interesting brake, unfortunately I've never seen/owned a machine with one of those before. Very clever, nice smooth action.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

I have a machine with that brake. Though it's been a long while since I've looked at it, I do not remember seeing that clip/spring on mine. I'm fairly sure it doesn't belong with that brake.

SSBN 657
Victor O

Post by SSBN 657 »

Jerry

What bugs me, is that I bought this phonograph directly from a lady (92 yrs old) unmolested. This little spring clip did not get there by accident. So it's a mystery to me. I was hoping for more input/pics to solve this mystery for me. This mystery may go unresolved for me.
Tim :?:

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

SSBN 657 wrote:Jerry

What bugs me, is that I bought this phonograph directly from a lady (92 yrs old) unmolested. This little spring clip did not get there by accident. So it's a mystery to me. I was hoping for more input/pics to solve this mystery for me. This mystery may go unresolved for me.
Tim :?:

Maybe in the past 92 years the lady had a husband who liked to tinker, or she took it somewhere to be repaired, or she was a clever lady who had an extra spring clip and an idea. Then too of course, there's the possibility of alien technology. :lol:

SSBN 657
Victor O

Post by SSBN 657 »

Jerry
I get your point. I guess for now I'll bag it and leave it inside the machine to confound the next owner. :D
Tim

ricoxi
Victor Jr

Post by ricoxi »

Hi SSBN 657, I attached pictures from my moto, it might could assist you.
thanks
Rico
111.jpg
111.jpg (132.2 KiB) Viewed 1823 times
222.jpg
SSBN 657 wrote:The brake has a clip that needs to be positioned properly to function correctly. The clip has popped off of its proper home. Could someone please post a pic of this brake assembled correctly. I would appreciate it greatly. Thanks

Tim