Gojo? Lemon oil? Cleaning of wooden cased gramophones

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Gojo? Lemon oil? Cleaning of wooden cased gramophones

Post by Inigo »

Many times you're talking in the forum or in collector's magazines about products for the 'first cleaning' of a wooden case. I've read about using 'Gojo' several times, and I've searched on the internet just to find that Gojo is a brand for body care soap. I'd like to know the exact name of the Gojo product you're using...
In old Tim Gracyk's 'Victrola & 78 journal' there were several articles of restoring a Victrola (maybe by R J Wakeman?) using a product called 'lemon oil' which I neither have been able to find. I'd also thank any kind soul that would send some photos of the product bottle, or give the composition or any clue about how to buy this cleaner.
The trick I suppose is to use a soft cleaner... Also it must be able to clean but not spoiling the finish. It's it the same for lacquer finish than for waxed finish our cellulose varnish? In the machines the are several types of these finishes, and one never knows what to use.
It seems that any soft natural oily substance could serve to clean a finished wooden case without disturbing the finish. I've found cleaning advice websites talking about these tricks to remove blemishes and stains: scrub a nut directly on the blemish following the wood grain (natural oils of the nut and its own substance fill the blemish and feed the wood); scrubbing with a mixture of vinegar and olive oil; put mayonnaise on the stain, let it soak and later remove by gentle scrubbing (see https://blogs.20minutos.es/un-hogar-con ... -de-madera.
It seems (by the lectures and by own experience) that these natural oils can penetrate through the finish and give the wood below a certain luster, without spoiling the finish. Except the case of waxed wood, which you should re-wax after the cleaning.
I am using particularly linseed oil (it's what I have at hand, it's natural and not aggresive) which I apply with cotton rags, let it soak for a while, then gently scrub with cotton rags, later finally remove by scrubbing with a clean cotton rag. It seems to remove dirt, as the rags become dirty, and the wood looks much better after this treatment. I've used it on waxed or on lacquered wood, and it seems to do no harm.
Any opinions, advice, etc?
Inigo

stetam
Victor II

Re: Gojo? Lemon oil? Cleaning of wooden cased gramophones

Post by stetam »

I typed in Gojo on Ebay and got over 6000 listings. I would not call it body care soap more like "greasy hands cleaner". The company does make many products including Purell hand sanitizer, but they are first known for their industrial hand cleaner. Cleans amazingly without hurting the original finish.

Using linseed oil as a cleaner does not make sense. Linseed oil preserves wood, not clean it.

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

Trying to purchase Gojo or GooP via the Internet in European countries can be quite expensive and doesn't make much sense. While a tub costs only a few dollars in the US, it can be 20 euros or more over there. It makes a lot more sense to search for a similar "local" product. These are essentially automotive hand cleaners without pumice (no sand or abrasives). It should have a creamy texture, easily remove grease and dirt, and be gentle to the skin. I am sure every country has something similar. You can google the ingredients of either Gojo or GooP and compare with your local product.

Another good option is Kotton Kleanser, but that may also be quite expensive to ship to Europe.

Andreas

russmovaz
Victor Jr
Personal Text: pay attention to what you dream at night

Post by russmovaz »

I use Formby's Lemon Oil Treatmen. Bottle says "Cleans as it replaces wood's natural oils."

Apply with a small cloth and polish or remove with a clean dry cloth.

I also use men's shaving cream for leather furniture. Never tried it on wood.
Russell DeAnna

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Probably the nearest equivalent product to Gojo in the UK is Swarfega, but I don't know whether it is sold in mainland Europe.

It should be noted that some variants contain scrubbing additives such as polymer grains.
Attachments
swarfega.jpg
swarfega.jpg (17.86 KiB) Viewed 1770 times

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Thanks, now it's clear!
Nice forum...
Inigo

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

Inigo wrote:...In old Tim Gracyk's 'Victrola & 78 journal' there were several articles of restoring a Victrola (maybe by R J Wakeman?) using a product called 'lemon oil' which I neither have been able to find. I'd also thank any kind soul that would send some photos of the product bottle, or give the composition or any clue about how to buy this cleaner..
The article you referred to, which is still online -- https://www.gracyk.com/restore.shtml -- goes back some decades, long before helpful hints and better restoration techniques were shared on forums such as this.

In the article, Old English lemon oil -- https://www.homedepot.com/p/Old-English ... /202820656 -- was recommended.

The process described works very well, but takes a LONG time. (I know from experience.) Using GoJo or some other mildly abrasive cleaner would probably work just as well, if not better.

OrthoFan

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Do not use the GoJo or Goop with pumice in them. You will ruin your finish in no time flat.

Also, with regular non-pumice Goop or GoJo, please wait 24 hours in between cleaning cycles to keep the stuff from softening the shellac or varnish and dulling its shine.