#2 reproducer can play any 78 easily.

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
PeteLeoni
Victor I
Personal Text: I know nothing (yet) help!

Re: #2 reproducer can play any 78 easily.

Post by PeteLeoni »

Here is Duke Ellington's A Train (a very loud 1943 obviously electronically recorded) playing without issues on a #2 reproducer using Walt Sommers parts and a loud tone needle as I wanted to stress it to demonstrate the #2 has plenty of left/right compliance with the foam mica surrounds. Obviously with a soft needle it's much more in balance.
Attachments
20231128_111941.mp4
(143.63 MiB) Downloaded 79 times

PeteLeoni
Victor I

Post by PeteLeoni »

Regarding Orthophonics. People go crazy with Class A tube amps to "get them closer to what's in the grooves without much electronics between. Well.....the Orthophonic has decent fidelity with no amplifier at all! Mechanical leverage and impedence matching to the air via horns.
My next purchase will be a Credenza to rebuild if I can find a deal.

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Sounds very good. I'm currently trying to learn the Exhibition fine adjustment, as I read that bit can sound wonderful within its limits. Yet I cannot get rid of that nasty peak in the mid range that spoils audition, the infamous 'ringing' tone... I'm also experimenting with diaphragms. I've tried the classics (mica, thin glass) and several types of handmade aluminium diaphragms from food trays, thick and thin, and even a very hard, fine and thin, layered corrugated cardboard, which sounds fairly well... I suspect that aluminium foil from food trays is somewhat mixed or layered with plastic, not our metal...
Inigo

Inigo
Victor VI

Post by Inigo »

Sounds very good. I'm currently trying to learn the Exhibition fine adjustment, as I read that it can sound wonderful within its limits. Yet I cannot get rid of that nasty peak in the mid range that spoils audition, the infamous 'ringing' tone... I'm also experimenting with diaphragms. I've tried the classics (mica, thin glass) and several types of handmade aluminium diaphragms from food trays, thick and thin, and even a very hard, fine and thin, layered corrugated cardboard, which sounds fairly well... I suspect that aluminium foil from food trays is somewhat mixed or layered with plastic, not pure metal...
Inigo

PeteLeoni
Victor I

Post by PeteLeoni »

Did you test by putting a small ball of putty where the needle meets the mica?
I did that and discovered that the original Victor Co. did *not* skimp on the beeswax sealant. Over the century what is left on them has lightened and chipped away not leaving us enough of a guide.
I am certain they intended a bit of mass there to lower the fs. You will see the improvement *instantly* then you can figure out how much beeswax. High end, such as it is, will not be significantly reduced with just the right amount of mass at the center of the mica.

Inigo
Victor VI

Post by Inigo »

Yes, I forgot to report... I tried your advice, using small balls of putty placed on the diaphragm, or on the needlebar crook, even at mid height, or directly attached at the middle of the needle... ( :D :D sounds like a tongue twister...). They certainly modify the sound, i first used a ball sized as a pea, but this was too much, and the sound gets completely muffled... later I had to divide it and use smaller bits, like a rice grain, etc. and it's a compromise, for the larger the ball, the softer the peak, but the treble goes away, etc
Inigo

PeteLeoni
Victor I

Post by PeteLeoni »

Inigo wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 6:36 pm Yes, I forgot to report... I tried your advice, using small balls of putty placed on the diaphragm, or on the needlebar crook, even at mid height, or directly attached at the middle of the needle... ( :D :D sounds like a tongue twister...). They certainly modify the sound, i first used a ball sized as a pea, but this was too much, and the sound gets completely muffled... later I had to divide it and use smaller bits, like a rice grain, etc. and it's a compromise, for the larger the ball, the softer the peak, but the treble goes away, etc
Hmmmmm. After I got the ball down to about a ⅛ round it just removed the peak for me, after that I just put more beeswax and that did it perfectly for me.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

Good to know that there is someone else who has discovered the WD-40 record cleaning method that I have promoted and used for years... :D
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife