what needles .. and manual

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
xtal_01
Victor Jr
Personal Text: I repair toys to tractors

what needles .. and manual

Post by xtal_01 »

Sooo ... I got the motor apart and back together ... repacked all three springs. Seems to work great. Everything cleaned and oiled ... RPM's holding steady (checked with a strobe).

I am just going to put the parts on order to rebuild the reproducer.

I need needles ..... I didn't know I had a choice!

Loud, medium, soft and spear point.

What am I looking for ???

Is there much of a difference ????

Also, I need a manual for this unit. I found a few scans online but not for this exact unit. Any idea where I can find one?

The unit is a Victor Victrola , VV-XVI, 1909, three spring motor, Exhibition Reproducer ... triangle hole for needle

Thanks ...
Attachments
IMG_2466.JPG
IMG_2463.JPG

kiwiatlarge
Victor Jr

Re: what needles .. and manual

Post by kiwiatlarge »

The Antique Phonograph Society has a PDF of the instructions for this model available here: https://www.antiquephono.org/#/category ... structions. You have to be a member to access these resources. It's well worth joining if you haven't already for the excellent magazine. Regarding needles I tend to use soft and I rarely use loud.

What and whose needles to buy is always a big talking point here on the TMF. I've bought from Chamberlain and Walt Sommers over eBay and been very happy. Recently I've bought from Soundgen who is based in the UK and sells on eBay. Ships very quickly.

Hope this helps.

xtal_01
Victor Jr

Post by xtal_01 »

Thanks for the info!

I didn't even know there was an Antique Phonograph Society

I see you have to be a member to access their files.

Since this is my only unit, I probably will not join right now.

Maybe if I come a cross a few more, I would join.

Funny, I found PDF's of the manual online for almost every model except mine.

I found a assorted pack of needles on ebay (100 of each type) ..... I might try this just to see what the difference is and what works best.

Thanks !

Mike

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

Forum member Shawn used to sell reprints of Victor manuals but stopped a while ago. Might be worth asking him if he still has a VV-XVI L-door manual left?

Good luck
Andreas

xtal_01
Victor Jr

Post by xtal_01 »

OK ... so I pulled out the bottom drawer and way in the back was a small Tupperware container.

I opened it ...WOW ....

first was the needle can I was looking for!

Also there were lots of steel needles and a hand full of bamboo needles.

I have new steel needles on order ... don't even know it these are new or used .... but do the bamboo needles even work?

Are the bamboo needles also a one shot deal?

Do they do less arm to the records?

Thanks ... Mike

kiwiatlarge
Victor Jr

Post by kiwiatlarge »

Isn't it great when that happens! It can be hard to tell new needles from old and I tend to only use ones I know are new. Folks on TMF have ways of telling but for the few $, I prefer the ones I know are new. If they are in packets then they are likely new. If in the needle holder they are likely used.

Fiber needles are fine to use and are, at least in theory, gentler on 78s. They don't make them any more so I save mine for my older or rarer 78s. They can be reused if you trim them each time with a fibre needle cutter. These cutters are common on eBay (though often quite pricey). Likely someone here has one to sell you if you ask on the Yankee trader forum. I got lucky and got two in the Tupperware box that came with my 1913 XVI.

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

kiwiatlarge wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 5:51 pm Isn't it great when that happens! It can be hard to tell new needles from old and I tend to only use ones I know are new. Folks on TMF have ways of telling but for the few $, I prefer the ones I know are new. If they are in packets then they are likely new. If in the needle holder they are likely used.

Fiber needles are fine to use and are, at least in theory, gentler on 78s. They don't make them any more so I save mine for my older or rarer 78s. They can be reused if you trim them each time with a fibre needle cutter. These cutters are common on eBay (though often quite pricey). Likely someone here has one to sell you if you ask on the Yankee trader forum. I got lucky and got two in the Tupperware box that came with my 1913 XVI.
If you're good with tools, especially exacto knives, you can make your own fiber needles, which were made out of bamboo.

Here are some basic instructions -- https://www.angelfire.com/nc3/talkingma ... eedle.html

Suitable bamboo can be obtained from a number of places including craft shops that sell Japanese style bamboo knitting needles.

OrthoFan

xtal_01
Victor Jr

Post by xtal_01 »

I have sooooooo much to learn!

I honestly have never heard a Victrola in person, only on YouTube (though I have listened to an early Edison cylinder machine at the Henry Ford museum).

I don't know what they should sound like and the difference in needles.

i just ordered an assortment pack .. 100 soft ..100 med ... 100 loud ... 100 spear

Plus, now I have a few bamboo

It will be interesting to see the difference.

At my age (61), maybe I will not even notice the difference.

Parts are on order for the reproducer ... maybe by next weekend I can give it a try ... super exciting to me!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for all the info !!!!!!!!!!