Victrola vv 4-3

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Shawnmex
Victor Jr

Victrola vv 4-3

Post by Shawnmex »

Hello all! I am a new victrola owner. Found this machine at a yard sale for 50 bucks. I've always wanted one to tinker with and restore, and now I've got one. But I know next to nothing on what my player should have. And what is missing. Other than the obvious. I was hoping some of you more experienced types would lend me your knowledge and steer me in the right direction for parts, tips and tricks. I've attached a few pics so y'all can see what is and what isn't missing. Ultimately what I'd like to do is completely restore the clockwork mechanism, turntable and accompanying parts. The cabinet is in poor shape but I plan on replacing all the veneer. Any help y'all could provide would be greatly appreciated.
Vv4-3
Vv4-3
Vv4-3
Vv4-3
Vv4-3
Vv4-3
Vv4-3
Vv4-3
Vv4-3
Vv4-3
Vv4-3
Vv4-3

OrthoFan
Victor V

Re: Victrola vv 4-3

Post by OrthoFan »

For starters, here's some good information about the VV-4-3 -- http://www.victor-victrola.com/4-3.htm

As noted, this is one of the Orthophonic Victrola models designed to play electrically recorded records (introduced by Victor in 1925) with greater fidelity than was possible with the older models. The sound quality is amazing from a properly restored model -- good treble and strong mid-range, as well as an impression of bass, depending on the listening room's acoustics.

In addition to the shot turntable felt, what I see missing is the Orthophonic tonearm support, the Orthophonic tonearm, and the Orthophonic sound box (reproducer). (I stress "Orthophonic" because the parts differ from those used on earlier--pre-1925--models.)

The replacement costs for these individual components will probably set you back about $200-$300+ depending on their condition, based on recent prices I've spotted. This is something to consider, since a very good condition 4-3--ready to play--averages about $200-$350 (or less) in today's market--depending where you're located.

OrthoFan

Sherazhyder
Victor I
Personal Text: Another Gramophone Enthusiast

Post by Sherazhyder »

Hi! I don’t see the tone arm, sound box, motor, horn, brake, speed regulator, crank, escutcheon, needle cup etc. If I correctly understand you never owned a phonograph, and you intend to restore it by yourself. While encouraging your passion, I will earnestly suggest that first you buy a working phonograph so you could personally see how does it work. This will help you a lot in restoring the present one. Otherwise you need the assistance of someone, who is experienced in restoring these machines. Sourcing the right kind of spares at right price from the right supplier and restoring the machine to its original specifications are two important specialties.

Please be careful in opening the motor, it has got a very sharp metal spring, lest it should cause you any injury.

Best of luck
Sheraz

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

This would most likely be what you're needing... https://www.ebay.com/itm/355614068186?i ... R-zaje7gYw As mentioned by others, it would exceed the value of your Victrola, and it would still need to have the reproducer rebuilt.

However, if you just want it to play it and to enjoy it, you can fit an earlier tone arm and reproducer for somewhat less. It will still sound nice, but not be "correct". Something like this would do it...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/335083957142?i ... R_Laje7gYw

The one thing you need to get right however is the distance from the center of the mounting hole in your Victrola, to the center of the turntable spindle. That dimension needs to match the measurement from the center of the base of the new tone arm, to the tip of the needle. In other words, with the new tonearm mounted, the needle much touch, or be very close to, the spindle shaft.
43.png
43.png (166.39 KiB) Viewed 163 times
43.2.png

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

JerryVan wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:47 pm This would most likely be what you're needing... https://www.ebay.com/itm/355614068186?i ... R-zaje7gYw
I believe the tonearm and support bracket in the first ebay link you posted is for the early style Consolette (4-3). I'm not sure the back bracket would fit the OP's model which would have the overhanging support--
1_51840179eb9075875bfb996ea556a5e9.jpg
1_51840179eb9075875bfb996ea556a5e9.jpg (21.86 KiB) Viewed 154 times

gramophone-georg
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

Shawn, I have the arm and bracket you'll need. Feel free to PM me if interested.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

Shawnmex
Victor Jr

Post by Shawnmex »

Thanks for the info provided. I'm just wanting to try my hand at restoring one of these. I've been repairing vintage clocks for a while, then moved on to restoring straight razors from the 1800's. Been messing with guitars and pachinko machines. Now it's time for one of these. One might think I have too much time on my hands lol!!!

Shawnmex
Victor Jr

Post by Shawnmex »

Thanks for the info provided. I'm just wanting to try my hand at restoring one of these. I've been repairing vintage clocks for a while, then moved on to restoring straight razors from the 1800's. Been messing with guitars and pachinko machines. Now it's time for one of these. One might think I have too much time on my hands lol!!!

Shawnmex
Victor Jr

Post by Shawnmex »