C-200 restoration Complete!!

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
scooter
Victor O

C-200 restoration Complete!!

Post by scooter »

Hi,
I found this filthy C-200 at a rural antique store a few weeks ago and got it out the door for only $70 which I think is a bargain. It is totally complete with just a few bruises and sans reproducer. Someone started to strip it and stripped the grill and drawer front. Luckily, it looks as though they used alcohol, as they should, and just removed the shallac and left the stain intact.

I've totally dissasembled it and have begun removing the shallac. I purchased some super blonde shellac flakes from the Shellac Shack and have read a lot on finishing with shellac and french polishing. I think I'll use the french polish technique of applying the shellac.

I'll post my progress here as I go and share my experience and likely as some questions too.

Here are some pictures. (my first time posting images so hope this works)
Attachments
There's a nice motor board under all that filth!
There's a nice motor board under all that filth!
Another view
Another view
Some day it will be beautiful!!
Some day it will be beautiful!!
Last edited by scooter on Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Neophone
Victor III

Re: C-200 restoration

Post by Neophone »

Scott,

That looks great-a lovely machine. I'm can't wait to see how you make out. I've got a C-19 that's waiting patiently for me to decide what route I'm going to take to finish it up cosmetically.

Regards,
John

Listening to the Victrola fifteen minutes a day will alter and brighten your whole life.
Use each needle only ONCE!

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Post by MordEth »

Scott,

Great pictures, and I’m glad to see that the attachment feature seemed to work well for you. Personally, I like that it automatically thumbnails the images—I think it makes it easier for everyone.

Welcome (back) to The Talking Machine Forum!

I look forward to seeing photos when you’ve had a chance to restore it—like your last photo comment states, “Some day it will be beautiful!!”—and perhaps you can get it in as a featured phonograph—I will hopefully have the archives format for those on here today.

It’s always impressive to see the before and after photos; I think we have some very talented members when it comes to restoration, and it’s nice to see samples of everyone’s work.

Your friendly internet daemon,

MordEth
Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

Aaron
Victor II

Post by Aaron »

I too look forward to seeing the finished product.Looks like it will clean up nicely.

Aaron

P.S. Is that part of a boat hull i spy in the back of the second picture? :D

Henry
Victor V

Post by Henry »

Aaron, if you're really looking for a nine-foot brass horn, I suggest you get ahold of a trombone and straighten it out (or have a brass instrument repair person do it for you). You'll find it to be almost exactly nine feet long (eight feet = the pitch C, nine feet is Bb, more or less, which is the pitch of a trombone in the first, i.e., closed, position). You might be able to pick one up cheap from your local school district, a horn that's been used in the marching band, say.

Aaron
Victor II

Post by Aaron »

Henry wrote:Aaron, if you're really looking for a nine-foot brass horn, I suggest you get ahold of a trombone and straighten it out (or have a brass instrument repair person do it for you). You'll find it to be almost exactly nine feet long (eight feet = the pitch C, nine feet is Bb, more or less, which is the pitch of a trombone in the first, i.e., closed, position). You might be able to pick one up cheap from your local school district, a horn that's been used in the marching band, say.

Henry,

Its a very good idea.But the problem is that they did make originals and the were nothing like that because the were 3ft 6in at the bell(which was spun out of copper) And 9ft long At the neck(or whatever you want to call it)which was the part made of brass.But your idea is more plasible for these reasons A)it cost $150 in 1900 B)they were only made to order C)there is only one ever known to have been made(at least at this point in time)And i dont think any one has found it YET... :D

Good idea but not exatly like what i want...

Thanks though,
aaron

scooter
Victor O

Post by scooter »

Aaron wrote:I too look forward to seeing the finished product.Looks like it will clean up nicely.

Aaron

Aaron,
It's actually an airplane wing. I've got a nearly complete kit aircraft that I've been working on for six years. It's been fun but this particular model has had some accidents that smell of a design issue so I'm in the process of selling that and focusing my tinker time on phonographs that won't get me killed!
Scott

Zeppy
Victor III

Post by Zeppy »

scooter wrote:
Aaron wrote:I too look forward to seeing the finished product.Looks like it will clean up nicely.

Aaron

Aaron,
It's actually an airplane wing. I've got a nearly complete kit aircraft that I've been working on for six years. It's been fun but this particular model has had some accidents that smell of a design issue so I'm in the process of selling that and focusing my tinker time on phonographs that won't get me killed!
Scott
no kidding...my father in law is building a kit plane in his garage as we speak (and his brother has actually finished one). Not sure what model he's builing, but he feels fairly confident in the safety of the one hes building.

scooter
Victor O

Re: C-200 restoration Complete!!

Post by scooter »

Well it's finally done and attached are some photos.
This was a lot of fun and I'm quite happy with the results. As you can see from the pictures on my original post, this machine was looking pretty sad and someone had already started stripping the shellac. I stripped the old shellac using just alcohol and a lot of cotton terry rags. Removing shellac is easy but tedious and messy. This doesn't remove the stain though as long as you stop when you get to the bare wood. I completely disassembled the machine and laid it horizontally as needed. I did everything including the interior above the motor board and the side trim pieces. I didn't strip the inside of the lid, however, because I wanted to retain the original decal. Since the shellac under the lid was pretty clean, I got good results from re-amalgamating the surface and then using steel wool and oil to create smooth finish.

Working with shellac was much easier than I thought. I purchased super blonde flakes and mixed a 2lb cut. I used the "padding" method of applying the shellac which is like french polishing. I wrapped cotton t-shirt material around wool. I used squeeze bottles of shellac and alcohol to apply directly to the wool then wrap with the cotton fabric, squeeze and blot to remove excess. The "pad" is now rubbed on the wood in smooth overlapping strokes only overlapping a little and only once as it will get sticky just before it dries. The shellac will dry in about a minute and more can be applied. There are at least ten or more applications on this phonograph and it produced a smooth finish with no streaks or any indication that it was rubbed on with a pad. I was really surprised at how well this worked and the smooth finish it produced.

I didn't put on as thick of a coat as with the original finish. I left it so that the texture of the grain is still visible. I just like it better that way.
It also plays wonderfully and I've been playing it all day while I'm organizing my records. Hope you all like it.
Scott
Attachments
DCAO0036.JPG
DCAO0044.JPG
DCAO0065.JPG
DCAO0054.JPG
DCAO0052.JPG
DCAO0050.JPG
DCAO0056_2.JPG

Brad
Victor III
Personal Text: So many phonographs, so little money

Re: C-200 restoration Complete!!

Post by Brad »

Great job Scooter, it came out very nice. You've inspired me to tackle my C-200.

I used shellac for the first time recently on a dresser I built and I too was pleasantly surprised how nice of a finish it provided. I will use it again.
Why do we need signatures when we are on a first avatar basis?