Quick easy brake spring fix

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
saxymojo
Victor II

Quick easy brake spring fix

Post by saxymojo »

Hi
I bought a beautiful Zonophone recently, the only problem was the spring in the brake assembly was incorrect. What to do? :? I tried heating and stretching out an old return spring, but I had a bit of problem with getting it back to the right temper to work properly.
My partner Lucyna suggested the use of a safety pin :idea: So I made a new one from a safety pin and I must say it works very well in both positions :D . What a clever woman she is :D :D . She also was instrumental in the design of the new spring. The spring that was in the brake was totaly incorrect, so we had to work out what shape would work best. This was going to be a tempory fix, but it works so well it can stay :D

Regards Marcel

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Re: Quick easy brake spring fix

Post by MordEth »

Marcel,

I definitely think you should applaud her for that idea, the use of the safety pin is ingenious. In your photo (below), the one pictured on the part is the original, with the one you made next to it (beside the safety pin)?

If so, it looks better than the original.

— MordEth

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

saxymojo
Victor II

Post by saxymojo »

Hi
No the one on fitted too the brake is the one I made. the one off to the side is another style that I tried, but I was not happy with, I put it there to just to show what can be made from the safety pin.
Thanks for putting the bigger picture on, I have not worked out how to do that yet, I might have to consult my Chief engineer

Regards Marcel and Chief engineer Lucyna :D

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Post by MordEth »

saxymojo wrote:I have not worked out how to do that yet, I might have to consult my Chief engineer.
Marcel,

It’s very easy to post those, although I’ve not done a tutorial on it yet (although the FAQ covers it a bit here). With ImageShack, I recommend copying the ‘DirectURL, like so:

Code: Select all

http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/5313/p3220024.jpg
Once you have that, you can highlight it with your mouse and click the Img button (or type the tags around it), which results in:

Code: Select all

[img]http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/5313/p3220024.jpg[/img]
Let me know if you have any questions, and commend Chief engineer Lucyna on her MacGyverism. :D

— MordEth

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.