Edison Crank Question

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Discman
Victor II

Edison Crank Question

Post by Discman »

I need a crank for an Edison Standard D and have seen these two styles on Ebay. My other Edisons all have the first type, which appears to be two pieces welded together. The second type appears to be a solid casting. Is one type more correct? Thanks
Dave
Type 1:

Type 2:

martinola
Victor III

Re: Edison Crank Question

Post by martinola »

Hi Dave!
I've been keeping an excel file of Standards and all of the cast cranks I've found seem to be concentrated in the early model B era. So far I've noted five examples between 301700 and 448932. The list is still small (only 144 entries). Since both types are interchangeable, I also have seen the flat style mixed into that range as well. None of the cast type have popped-up in the model D's that I have seen so far. It would seem consistent with the gradual cheapening of the Standard's production line as time went on. Good luck with the machine!

Martin

Discman
Victor II

Post by Discman »

Martin,
Thanks,
All of my D model Edisons have the flat style. The guy selling these (croakinfrog)is advetsising both types as WILL WORK ON THE STANDARD AND HOME MODEL "B"s AND UP.....ALL FIRESIDES". I think the cast type may be more common to the Fireside, but just happens to also work on a Standard and Home. I think I'll wait until a nice flat one shows up. It's not a critical item holding up my project.
Dave

hillndalefan
Victor I

Post by hillndalefan »

My Edison Standard type F still has the flat crank. As above, I've only
seen the cast crank on the Fireside. :)