Columbia Grafonola louvers question

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
rvtex
Victor Jr

Columbia Grafonola louvers question

Post by rvtex »

I am really new at this. Am restoring a CG upright unit and covering the sound hole are two horozontal slats. They measure about 12 ½" x 4" each. Both slats are in ok shape and the lever on the right side of the unit is in place that opens the top slat. There are two metal bars with 4 holes in each that attach to the frame vertically and connect the slats doors to the frame. That is all that came with it.

Is there some other hardware, bars, levers, that connect the two slats so when the top slat, the lower one opens too? If so can someone describe it to me or attach a picture. It would be greatly appreciated.

It is also missing the governor. Anyone out there sell or reproduce these?

thanks

De Soto Frank
Victor V

Re: Columbia Grafonola louvers question

Post by De Soto Frank »

I think most louvred-front Grafonolas had a brass (?) knob on the side of the cabinet, up near the top, that one turned to open and close the louvres.

On my little table-top "Favorite" (c. 1915), the knob is on the upper-right side, as you face the machine.

I do not know how the knob actually connected to the vertical actuator inside, but was probably something akin to a rack gear and pinion.

Someone here will know more about it.

Please share some pictures of your machine... we don't get to see many Grafonolas here...

:coffee:
De Soto Frank