New molding tips

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
zapper
Victor II

New molding tips

Post by zapper »

Hi I need to make some new oak moldings for around the base of my Phonograph. I have one original piece to copy. Can anyone give advise how to make them. Can I use a router or do I need a spindle machine?

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Re: New molding tips

Post by alang »

I had the missing corner molding for my Zon-o-phone Grand opera made by a master wood turner. The price was very reasonable and he was great to work with. His name is Ed Youtz, 5211 Homestead Circle, Emmaus, PA 18049, email:
eywt (at) ptd.net

Andreas
The old and new corner moldings installed. The new one is at the rear of the machine (left).
The old and new corner moldings installed. The new one is at the rear of the machine (left).

JohnM
Victor V

Re: New molding tips

Post by JohnM »

zapper wrote:Hi I need to make some new oak moldings for around the base of my Phonograph. I have one original piece to copy. Can anyone give advise how to make them. Can I use a router or do I need a spindle machine?
It doesn't matter if you use a router or a spindle shaper ultimately, although if you use a router, it will need to be mounted upside-down in a router table. What does matter is that you have a cutter that fits the profile of the molding you desire to copy. Chances are that a stock cutter is not going to yield the molding you need. However, there are a number of companies that will make a custom cutter for you if you provide the profile. If you are not an experienced wood worker, be extra careful. Routers and shapers are unforgiving.
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan