Applying Shellac Finish?

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Re: Applying Shellac Finish?

Post by alang »

Brad wrote:I use the same method the Andreas describes.
Of course you do. I learned it from one of your previous posts long ago. :lol: Thanks a lot to you and everyone who is sharing their expertise and knowledge so freely here.

Andreas

welshfield
Victor II

Post by welshfield »

I recently used spray shellac with (to me) very good results.

I pickied up an Edison Standard at a yard sale this spring with a dirty, dull, "60-years-in-an-attic" finish. I cleaned the cabinet with grit-free Go Jo (as recomended on this forum), wiped it off with mineral spirits lightly applied.

Then I started the spray off cabinet and moved the spray pattern across the surface of the cabinet in less than one second, holding the can about 10-inches away. I stopped the spray off cabinet also. (Of course I masked off the casting and upper mechanism). The results were, to me, amazing. I let it dry and continued to complete the four sides of the cabinet and then the cover. It now looks like a 100-year old well-cared-for machine. A slight gloss showing nice wood grain. No brush strokes, just a nice, even, finish.

Another possibility is to skip the shellac and just use a good grade of wax, although I have not tried this yet.

John

XCaptBill
Victor I

Post by XCaptBill »

Johannes,

Where do you buy the Cotton Wool you use in your "Rubber"?

Bill

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

XCaptBill wrote:Johannes,

Where do you buy the Cotton Wool you use in your "Rubber"?

Bill
Since the cotton wool is on the inside, I don't think it would matter much where it came from. Any drugstore will have packages at a reasonable price.

Bill

XCaptBill
Victor I

Post by XCaptBill »

Does the drug store have the cotton wool blend in bulk packages or in pads?

johannes
Victor O

Post by johannes »

Just use any cotton wool. I buy it in a bulk packet rather than cotton balls. I prefer pure cotton, although I know some French Polishers prefer using upholstery cotton wadding or commonly called Lintus pad.
It is available in supermarkets in the baby care area or personal care. It is very cheap.

XCaptBill
Victor I

Post by XCaptBill »

Thanks Johannes. So it seems that there is nothing special about Cotton Wool and is basically just cotton. I was wondering because I thought I remembered where I had read in one of my woodworking books that talked about french polishing, one could actually use wool in the rubber. I have a bunch of pure raw lambs wool and I thought perhaps it may have been a blend.

johannes
Victor O

Post by johannes »

I really don't think it matters too much, as long as it is a natural fibre. The natural fibre absorbs the polish mix, whereas the synthetic fibres retain it but do not form a firm base which is what you aim to get. Many French polishers use the same rubber over and over again. They simply place it in a jar with a little Denatured Alcohol or Methylated Spirits, which is air tight and only change the cotton sheet cover if it tears.
I will try and get some images happening in the coming months and even show you how to make your own natural beeswax polish.

XCaptBill
Victor I

Post by XCaptBill »

Thanks Johannes, I would like to see that ;)