Restoring Metal ID Tags

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Restoring Metal ID Tags

Post by Jerry B. »

A good friend owned a beautiful Victor MS for years and the only cosmetic flaw were the metal ID tags. Both were polished down to brass and there was no black background. I couldn't help myself and every time I visited, I would offer to restore the tags. He stopped for a visit last Friday and offered to sell me the machine. I had never owned a front mount MS and the price was fair so it's mine now.

My only problem was the fact that I had rotator surgery on my right shoulder and I'm right handed. I looked at the machine for a day and went at it left handed. Once I removed the little nails it was easy. Here's what I did:
1-wiped the tags with denatured alcohol to remove any oil.
2-completely painted the tags gloss black - two coats
3-let dry overnight
4-used a combination of 0000 steel wool and acetone to remove the paint on the raised surfaces. I used the steel wool first to remove most of the paint. I wasn't totally satisfied so I applied the acetone with a Q-tip to small areas and buffed with the steel wool. I found it best yo use the Q-tip when it was damp with acetone and not soaked.

I was able to do everything with my left hand. I doubled back some tape to the back side of the tags so they wouldn't slide around on my work bench. I'm not sure I spent much more time on the tags than I've taken to type this post one letter at a time.

Happy collecting, Jerry Blais
Attachments
DSC01903.JPG
Day after surgery
Day after surgery
Last edited by Jerry B. on Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Re: Restoring Metal ID Tags

Post by phonogfp »

Jerry,

The plates look great!

I've never restored any - and certainly not left-handed... Well done!

Hope that shoulder heals up quickly for you.

George P.

Henry
Victor V

Post by Henry »

Looks great, Jerry. Sorry about your rotator. Are you getting some P.T. (I hope)?

Is it my imagination or did the factory stamp that letter "S" upside down? Any thoughts?

Your beautiful dog has found its rightful place in the world!

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

Henry, I thought the "S" looked a little odd. I think you are correct. It was stamped upside down. I think I get physical therapy when I am out of the sling in a month. As long as I'm strong enough to load uprights at Union, I'll be happy. Jerry