Beginning Restoration

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Brad
Victor III
Personal Text: So many phonographs, so little money

Re: Beginning Restoration

Post by Brad »

Glad it worked well for you Jerry.

Keep in mind if you make more "Brads" :lol: that different machines have different sized platters so a slot cut for one machines diameter may not be the same for a different manufacturers platter.
Why do we need signatures when we are on a first avatar basis?

MicaMonster
Victor III
Personal Text: Never Settled

Post by MicaMonster »

MordEth wrote:
Brad wrote:From what I have heard, Kotten Klenser is used frequently by museums. I have never seen it damage anything original.
Could anyone comment as to whether it is preferable to use Kotten Klenser or the non-abrasive GOJO (not the stuff with the pumice)?

I’ve heard good things about both products, so I figured that I might ask, both so I know, and for the benefit of other members and guests who might read this thread.

— MordEth

I don't use Klenser. Too strong, and it is not buffered. Takes the shine away, along with the dirt. I actually no longer use the stuff. I use a product called NEW LIFE Furniture Mask, made by RAMAX. Has orange oil in it. Very VERY effective and gentle cleaner........and it doesn't kill the skin on your hands the way Kotton Klenser does (if you don't use gloves).
-Antique Phonograph Reproducer Restorer-
http://www.EdisonDiamondDisc.com
Taming Orthophonics Daily!

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

I've used Kotton Klenser for years and always believed it was gentle on my hands. I've been happy with the results. Jerry Blais