Expedition reproducer all screws stripped

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
morgantheavenger
Victor I

Expedition reproducer all screws stripped

Post by morgantheavenger »

I have a expedition reproducer and all the screws are stripped any suggestions I'm getting worried needs a new flange and rebuild on top of that any suggestions would be helpful thank you very much

gramophone78
Victor VI

Re: Expedition reproducer all screws stripped

Post by gramophone78 »

morgantheavenger wrote:I have a expedition reproducer and all the screws are stripped any suggestions I'm getting worried needs a new flange and rebuild on top of that any suggestions would be helpful thank you very much
I'm assuming you are referring to an "Exhibition" reproducer made by Victor. If this is correct.....it would be best to post pics of your reproducer in order for us members to try and help provide you with accurate information.... :).

I can add that this reproducer is very common and can be found fairly inexpensive on line. The rubber flange is reproduced and not too costly (available on line or from parts dealers). Changing the rubber flange is recommended. As are both white mica rubber gaskets (also available) I'm not aware of screws being reproduced.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

gramophone78 wrote:
morgantheavenger wrote:I have a expedition reproducer and all the screws are stripped any suggestions I'm getting worried needs a new flange and rebuild on top of that any suggestions would be helpful thank you very much
I'm assuming you are referring to an "Exhibition" reproducer made by Victor. If this is correct.....it would be best to post pics of your reproducer in order for us members to try and help provide you with accurate information.... :).

I can add that this reproducer is very common and can be found fairly inexpensive on line. The rubber flange is reproduced and not too costly (available on line or from parts dealers). Changing the rubber flange is recommended. As are both white mica rubber gaskets (also available) I'm not aware of screws being reproduced.

I suspect he DOES mean Expedition. There was an Exhibition knock-off version made that used the Expedition name. I have one on a cameraphone.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Morgan,

Do you mean the screw threads are stripped, or that the screw slots are stripped?

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

JerryVan wrote:
gramophone78 wrote:

I suspect he DOES mean Expedition. There was an Exhibition knock-off version made that used the Expedition name. I have one on a cameraphone.
Jerry, as I wrote...."I'm assuming". Pics speak a thousand words... ;) :). However, there is a video on YouTube showing how to rebuild a "Expedition" reproducer. Now to me......it looks like an Exhibition he is holding in his hands....???. According to the man....."it is one of two reproducers Victor made"........ Of course he calls the "reproducer" a "Victrola" in the video. :roll: :lol: :lol: .
I am shipping a couple of my "Expedition's" down to him to have rebuilt...... :shock: ;).
http://youtu.be/aFp9ibBtrKM

morgantheavenger
Victor I

Yes I spelled it wrong lol the screws slots are stripped and I can remove them I might have to go to one other option to get it off whictch is drill them out with a smaller drill then the screws themselves I'll post of a pic of the reproducer shortly thanks everyone sorry for misspelling mistake

morgantheavenger
Victor I

All these screws slots are stripped and there is no way to remove them without damaging them anymore so I'm might just have to drill them out with a smaller drill then the screws themselves to get them out maybe ?
Attachments
image.jpg

morgantheavenger
Victor I

Exhibition reproducer

Exhibition reproducer
Attachments
image.jpg

gramophone78
Victor VI

Post by gramophone78 »

In my opinion and given the over all condition/issues of the reproducer........just buying another already rebuilt would be the easiest resolve. You could always keep the one you have for spare parts. The other "practical" option would be to just buy one "on line" cheap and re-built it yourself. The rebuilt kit can also be found on line. However, the cost of the kit and the time and effort in rebuilding one correctly must be considered.

The last opinion would be to use a penetrating oil to try and loosen the screws. However, if the screws are already buggered.....then, you are really past that stage. There is no one making replacement screws for the Exhibition that I know of.

Given how cheap (also very common) I have seen these sell for......this last opinion seems impractical as you would need to buy another just for the correct screws anyway.
Keep your eyes open on Ebay and a deal on one can be had..... ;) :).

morgantheavenger
Victor I

I might just have to drill the screws out with a smaller drill I tried oil already but that did no do so my last option is to drill thd screws out with smaller drill thanks