Welding a broken motor

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Ivor-Duncombe
Victor Jr

Re: Welding a broken motor

Post by Ivor-Duncombe »

Thank you for the pictures. Seeing the reverse side of a complete motor helped - and showed me that I'd been too optimistic. I did have, but sold a single spring version of your motor, Zeppy, but I don't have either single or double spring motor castings, Im afraid. That's why the "V" shaped cutout near the governor was so familiar. What I do have, but which won't help you are 2 motor frames and some parts for "Toy", "00" or "Spiral 1" motors and a frame and some parts for a double spring version of the "Toy", "00" or "Spiral 1" type (as identified on page 260 of "His Master's Gramophone". I have no spring drums, ratchet wheels, spring drum axle shafts at all and I have about 1.5 governors and some gears for the winding mechanisms, I have 2 coarse and 1 fine helical cut turntable axles and am missing 1 brass governor drive gear (which fits on to the helical cut turntable axle). So I'm afraid I've led you on a wild goose chase. Please accept my sincere apologies for my error. So it's back to welding, glueing or replacing your motor frame. I'm going to ask a friend of mine in Cape Town if he can help with a complete motor frame. He's had quite a serious stroke recently and I don't know whether he is spending much time in his workshop - but i'll try. In which country are you resident? If you have any of the parts I need or need any of the parts I have, then perhaps we could trade parts so that we could each build up at least one good motor. If you do have any parts that you want to sell then please let me know. I'll be following your postings with interest anyway. Regards, Owen