how to nickel plate the edge of a turntable

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Chilesave
Victor II

how to nickel plate the edge of a turntable

Post by Chilesave »

I need to have the metal parts on my Victor V replated. The nickel plating on the edge of the turntable is completely gone. Is there any way to renickel the turntable without destroying the turntable felt? The felt is original and I would hate to lose it in the process of plating the edge of the turntable.

Anyone have any experience with this?

thanks,

gramophone78
Victor VI

Re: how to nickel plate the edge of a turntable

Post by gramophone78 »

The short answer is no, since the part is "tanked". If you wish to retain your felt. I would recommend having the table edge buffed on a wheel by a shop. It will look as good as new. I would place masking tape on the felt edge to stop the black from getting on it.

Chilesave
Victor II

Post by Chilesave »

Thanks, I agree that is the best idea. Buffing it out will also keep it from looking "too" shiny which would be more appropriate. Thanks!

ambrola
Victor IV
Personal Text: Be Careful What You Say, You Can't T ake It Back!

Post by ambrola »

Dick,
I have used files for this. It is a long and hard process, but you can get it to look new. You start with a rough file to get the junk off. Then you switch to a fine file to get the scratches out. Call me.
Ronnie

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

I've used sandpaper to polish the edge. I started with 100 grit and worked my way down to 220 grit. Then I buff the edges.
Harvey Kravitz

martinola
Victor III

Post by martinola »

Hi Chilesave.

Another way to do it is to carefully, very carefully, use a single-edged razor and peel away the old felt. The glue should be pretty powdery by now and if you go slow and are careful it should come up pretty cleanly. I've done it with my Credenza and my C-19. Both turntables needed plating and both felts needed cleaning (in Naptha) and then some restoration (ie: filling moth holes). The fibers for patching were harvested from the underside while scraping off the excess old glue. It took longer, but I think the results were worth the bother.

I highly recommend using Naptha to clean the felt. It got all of the grease out as well as decades of grime. Good luck with your project!

- Martin

fmblizz
Victor IV

Post by fmblizz »

Like others have said you are better off buffing it out. I made up a jig using nuts, washers and a bolt to put the turntable on my Drill press. Starting with 150 grit and going to 1000. Actually goes along quite fast. Then use a rubbing compound and finally polishing compound. I normally spray a clear coat to preserve it.

The drill press really makes an easy job of it.

Blizz

ps... this thread probably belongs in Tips & Tricks

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

I would clean off any dirt and loose rust then leave it alone. I would rather see honest aging & corrosion, than polished bare metal which I believe looks tacky and messed with.

ambrola
Victor IV
Personal Text: Be Careful What You Say, You Can't T ake It Back!

Post by ambrola »

JerryVan wrote:I would clean off any dirt and loose rust then leave it alone. I would rather see honest aging & corrosion, than polished bare metal which I believe looks tacky and messed with.
Not me. I like them to look good. I polish all the bright work.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Amberola wrote:
JerryVan wrote:I would clean off any dirt and loose rust then leave it alone. I would rather see honest aging & corrosion, than polished bare metal which I believe looks tacky and messed with.
Not me. I like them to look good. I polish all the bright work.
Well yes, I polish brightwork too, when there's anything left to polish. I realize this is my take on things and not meaning to criticize.