Removing corrosion from brass horn

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
tinovanderzwan
Victor II

Re: Removing corrosion from brass horn

Post by tinovanderzwan »

i see quite some difference in american and european collecting of phono's
in the usa the phono's need to be shiny and as new
in europe the as-found look is more populair afcourse when a machine is falling apart or if rust is eating away metal at a allarming rate the it needs to be delt with
a few spots on a horn is no problem here

the toilet cleaner idea is the thing i go for i use toilet-duck cleaner and it works miracles 2000 years of corosion on a roman coin is gone in 20 minutes!

i once had a horn like the one described real thick black rust i took some cloth saturated it with the cleaner(use the blue variety) wraped it around the horn and left it for several hours when i returned and removed the cloth the rust was gone it had turned to slime that i could wipe off

be sure to clean the horn with plenty of water to remove toilet-duck residue (or the acid will make new rust if left for a long time)then use auto cleaner polish and finnish with brasso

ambrola
Victor IV
Personal Text: Be Careful What You Say, You Can't T ake It Back!

Post by ambrola »

You must remember, it took 100 years for the horn to look old. Why ruin them?
DSC_0025.JPG

tinovanderzwan
Victor II

Post by tinovanderzwan »

Amberola wrote:You must remember, it took 100 years for the horn to look old. Why ruin them?
DSC_0025.JPG
now that horn looks nice but i think we where talking about severe corosion not about removing patina

ambrola
Victor IV
Personal Text: Be Careful What You Say, You Can't T ake It Back!

Post by ambrola »

tinovanderzwan wrote:
Amberola wrote:You must remember, it took 100 years for the horn to look old. Why ruin them?
DSC_0025.JPG
now that horn looks nice but i think we where talking about severe corosion not about removing patina
Oh, now I understand that also.