Restoration/ Clean up, etc

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
jeigh44
Victor Jr

Restoration/ Clean up, etc

Post by jeigh44 »

Hi there,
I just purchased a victor v phonograph, and I want to have it looked at to see if it is working ok. The auction house said that it is all original finish, etc. This is the first machine that I have owned.

I tried to play a record but the needle head kept flipping backwards and scratching the hell out of the record. Thank god it was a junk record! This happened mostly when using a soft needle.

Also, the wood horn seems to be separating for the silver base, and sagging a little when it is in the holder.

Do you know of any excellent people in LA to take it to? I got two names Steve Oliphant and Scott Corbett. I am new to this world so any suggestions are MUCH appreciated.

Thanks so much.

Justin

Phono48
Victor IV

Re: Restoration/ Clean up, etc

Post by Phono48 »

jeigh44 wrote: I tried to play a record but the needle head kept flipping backwards and scratching the hell out of the record.
Hi Justin,

The "needle head" is called a soundbox, and shouldn't be loose enough to flip backwards or forwards The only way it could flip backwards is if you are putting the soundbox in the wrong position on the record. It should be placed on the outer edge of the record to the right of the centre spindle. Apart from flipping the soundbox backwards, if you place the soundbox on the left, the needle will be digging into the groove, instead of following it, and ruining your records.

Barry

Hailey
Victor III

Post by Hailey »

One of the very first things you should keep in mind is to never believe what an auction house tells you.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

This article might be helpful. Good luck! :)

http://www.antiquephono.org/basic-antiq ... onal-tips/

George P.

Henry
Victor V

Post by Henry »

That article shows about as hideous an Exhibition as I've seen! Not only is it rusty-cruddy on the needle bar springing, lever and fulcrum, and adjusting screws, but the front gaskets are dried and cracked, and the back flange looks questionable as well. (This particular Exhib. also has strange, to me, needle screw---what's that coil spring doing there?). I looked in vain to the article for a hint to the (presumably novice) reader that this is a sound box in critical need of a rebuild.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Henry wrote:That article shows about as hideous an Exhibition as I've seen! Not only is it rusty-cruddy on the needle bar springing, lever and fulcrum, and adjusting screws, but the front gaskets are dried and cracked, and the back flange looks questionable as well. (This particular Exhib. also has strange, to me, needle screw---what's that coil spring doing there?). I looked in vain to the article for a hint to the (presumably novice) reader that this is a sound box in critical need of a rebuild.
Henry,

I apologize to you for the condition of the Exhibition in the article. I acquired the Victor I upon which it was original equipment in August 1972. It was owned by a venerable old gentleman who lived out in the boondocks and specialized in music boxes. It took me many weeks to talk the fellow out of this Victor I, and it took all of my (18-year old) resources to afford it. The 8" record of "My Old Kentucky Home" is the record the man always kept on the turntable, and that hasn't changed either. Other than some cleaning/polishing, I did nothing to the machine (back then, I didn't know how to rebuild sound boxes). It's not a machine I use for playing, so my sentimentality (or perhaps laziness?) has prevented me from rebuilding the Exhibition. (Surprisingly, this Exhibition plays pretty well considering it's wearing its original gaskets and isolator.) The machine (which appears in Fig. 4-75 of The Talking Machine Compendium) is pretty much as I bought it 42 years ago. I've changed quite a bit, but this Victor I hasn't. Again, I apologize for using this particular Exhibition in the article photos rather than a rebuilt one. I must admit that it never occurred to me that anyone would be offended.

As for the "needle screw," that's the Victor "Automatic Needle Clamp." If you check Fig. 2-28 in your copy of Phonographica you'll see an original brochure describing it.

George P.

Henry
Victor V

Post by Henry »

And I apologize for the harsh tone I used; that was unnecessary. :oops: OTOH, if I were showing a machine, I'd want it to look clean, just as a good example for the novice. Seems to me this would be a perfect opportunity for a "before-and-after" presentation.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special

Post by phonogfp »

Henry,

If we weren't passionate about antique phonographs, we wouldn't be involved with them! :)

Your concern about a novice reader getting the wrong idea is valid. I have added some text to the caption below the illustration of my unrestored sound box. I may add a photo showing a restored example as well.

I'm not ready to strip that particular Exhibition of its original gaskets and back flange, but there are others here with new gaskets/flanges. ;)

Thanks for your suggestion, Henry.

Best,

George P.

jeigh44
Victor Jr

Post by jeigh44 »

Thanks everyone. I took to Steve Oliphant and he was so insightful and answered all of my questions. The needle going backwards was because of the way I was placing it on the record, and he is going to fix the plate for me.

Thanks again!

jeigh44
Victor Jr

Post by jeigh44 »

Just wanted to say thank you for everyones help. Steve Oliphant did some work on my victor v, and it is running great! He was very kind, knowledgeable, and gracious. Thanks, Steve!

Now onto finding an excellent condition, victor vi. :)