Rebuilding Brunswick Ultona Reproducer?

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
rhammond
Victor Jr

Rebuilding Brunswick Ultona Reproducer?

Post by rhammond »

Does anyone here have experience rebuilding a Brunswick Ultona Reproducer. Mine has the standard 78, Pathé ball stylus and the other side is for Edison. The diamond works fine for the Edison part. I am sure that the issue is just the gaskets but something in me worried about taking this apart. I know that they are pot metal and the gaskets etc. appear to be bigger than what is used in Victor etc.

Also, I got talked into buying this machine at the end of an estate sale. I am not experienced in Brunswick machines but this appears to be a fairly deluxe model. The motor is a very heavy 4 spring motor which runs very quietly and it seems to have plenty of power. The record compartment has four or five bins which slide out instead of using books etc. The hardware is gold plated. I need to find one knob for the record compartment drawer and the metal key cover which is on the right side of the machine on the part where the lid rests. If anyone has these parts, I am willing to buy them.

Again, any suggestions on redoing the reproducer would be appreciated. I am sure that we are dealing with pot metal and I am really concerned about getting the Edison side right.

Victor VI

Re: Rebuilding Brunswick Ultona Reproducer?

Post by 52089 »

IIRC, the usual Exhibition size gaskets work just fine on the Ultona, so as long as you proceed with caution unscrewing the bezel, you should be able to redo the gaskets quite easily. One thing you may want to keep in mind is that the linkage to the Edison stylus is attached to the mica using a screw-and-nut setup, so be careful with this. It would be very easy to mess up the linkage or damage the mica.

And of course, be sure to test the stylus in the runoff area of a Diamond Disc to make sure it's not marking the records.