Ortho lid supports

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Covah
Victor II

Ortho lid supports

Post by Covah »

Orthophonics have lids supported by pressure cylinders of some kind. When these lose their seals they no longer have enough boost and lid won't stay up. What is best repair?

Thanks!

JohnM
Victor V

Re: Ortho lid supports

Post by JohnM »

Covah,
The seals inside are leather discs. The dash pots ("pressure cylinders") admit air when the lid is raised and then is allowed to bleed off slowly as the lid closes. Open them up and soak the leather seals with Neet's Foot Oil or any 'leather restorer'. They will swell up, self lubricate, and work like new again.

John M
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

bostonmike1
Victor I

Post by bostonmike1 »

John -----Where the heck did you ever learn that? You are an invaluable asset on this forum!!! Michael

Covah
Victor II

Post by Covah »

Wow! Thanks!

bostonmike1
Victor I

Post by bostonmike1 »

John M.----I am mechanically astute, but you have me beat in areas I have yet to journey. I would still like to know where you learned this trick. Michael

1926CredenzaOwner
Victor II

Post by 1926CredenzaOwner »

!
Last edited by 1926CredenzaOwner on Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

Can't get a better answer than that! Thanks Walt!

John M
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

Henry
Victor V

Post by Henry »

For those of us who still have Coleman stoves and lanterns, the liquid fuel type, which work by pressurizing the fuel tank by means of a pump, these pumps have leathers which look very similar to the Ortho lid leathers. The Colemans can be renewed by use of any "household" oil (such as 3-in-1 or similar), if Neatsfoot is not available. In fact there is an oil hole (marked "oil") at the base of the pump rod where it enters the tank. My little red one-mantle Coleman lantern works beautifully, and I even have spare, fresh leathers for it!

P.S.[later] Your typical storm door closer works exactly the same way, only in reverse. Come to think of it, the lift cylinders on your hatchback sedan or SUV rear door (and opening window, if so equipped), work on the same principle. (Mmmm, now there's a thought---wonder whether an automotive lift cylinder would work on an Ortho lid??)

1926CredenzaOwner
Victor II

Post by 1926CredenzaOwner »

!