Missing latch on Columbia 160. What to do?

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Missing latch on Columbia 160. What to do?

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

I have recently bought a Columbia 160 portable that has a missing latch on the records compartment lid. That is: it's not one of the "main" latches on the front of the case, but one of those belonging to the records compartment on the top half.

Unfortunately the surviving latch shows that the missing part has a distinctive design which is not easily mocked with nowadays hardware.

I figure that an original spare will be nearly impossible to find. However, should anyone of you have a spare latch or knows someone who sells them (original or reproduced, I'll take everything!) please be so kind to let me know.

Also, should anyone know the art of reproducing such part from raw copper, I would be very glad to purchase an imitation latch. Please let me know who may be able to do the work, or contact me directly.

In any case, what would you personally do if this gramophone was yours and this part was missing?
Attachments
Columbia 160: the surviving record compartment's latch.
Columbia 160: the surviving record compartment's latch.
Columbia 160: the missing record compartment's latch.
Columbia 160: the missing record compartment's latch.

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV

Making a replica latch for a Columbia 160.

Due to the lack of hints, and also to the lack of for sale offers, I boldly decided to try and make one myself. Not without my surprise, the replica latch came out quite nicely, I dare to say. Here are some pictures that I took while making it; perhaps they will be of inspiration to someone else.
Attachments
The original latch is all made in copper. Although I searched high and low, I could not track a copper sheet of the appropriate thickness. However, a brass sheet of quite the correct thickness was available. I decided to go with it as it is almost just as well malleable, and brass and copper can be anyway welded with a tin solder (more on this later).
The original latch is all made in copper. Although I searched high and low, I could not track a copper sheet of the appropriate thickness. However, a brass sheet of quite the correct thickness was available. I decided to go with it as it is almost just as well malleable, and brass and copper can be anyway welded with a tin solder (more on this later).
The geometric develop of the lever is traced on the brass sheet.
The geometric develop of the lever is traced on the brass sheet.
The excess brass parts are cut off with a metal hacksaw.
The excess brass parts are cut off with a metal hacksaw.
Last edited by Marco Gilardetti on Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:55 am, edited 3 times in total.

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV

Making a replica latch for a Columbia 160.

(continues in a new post due to max attachments limit)
Attachments
The rounded bottom shape of the lever is achieved by adjusting with a microdrill grindstone. The position of the side holes is marked with a punch.
The rounded bottom shape of the lever is achieved by adjusting with a microdrill grindstone. The position of the side holes is marked with a punch.
The concave "ergonomic" grip is made by bending the sheet against a template clamped in the vise. A big carpentry nail happened to have the correct curvature.
The concave "ergonomic" grip is made by bending the sheet against a template clamped in the vise. A big carpentry nail happened to have the correct curvature.
The holes for the latch's loop are more easily and precisely done when the lever is still partly flat.
The holes for the latch's loop are more easily and precisely done when the lever is still partly flat.
The side "wings" are bent in position and the lever gets the final boxed structure by a cautious use of the anvil and a light hammer.
The side "wings" are bent in position and the lever gets the final boxed structure by a cautious use of the anvil and a light hammer.
This is a key-point: how to make the hinge. The hinge on the original lever is made of folded metal; it's very narrow and it seems impossible to re-create it with household tools (at least to my eyes and with my tools). I then figured that soldering a small pipe at the top of the lever might work. The pipe is made with a short piece of copper pipe used in refrigerator compressors. Unfortunately the pipe has proven not to be ready-to-go: when I cut it accurately I realized that the inner gauge is extremely narrow, so the hole had to be enlarged with a microdrill anyway. It takes patience and a very steady hand.
This is a key-point: how to make the hinge. The hinge on the original lever is made of folded metal; it's very narrow and it seems impossible to re-create it with household tools (at least to my eyes and with my tools). I then figured that soldering a small pipe at the top of the lever might work. The pipe is made with a short piece of copper pipe used in refrigerator compressors. Unfortunately the pipe has proven not to be ready-to-go: when I cut it accurately I realized that the inner gauge is extremely narrow, so the hole had to be enlarged with a microdrill anyway. It takes patience and a very steady hand.
The bored pipe is welded to the lever of the latch. This step requires precise positioning, for the latch to operate efficiently. The pipe has been soldered, desoldered and repositioned many times by trial & error before the correct position had been find. The toothpicks prevent the melted tin to enter into the side holes and fill them, and they also help handling and keeping the pipe in position.
The bored pipe is welded to the lever of the latch. This step requires precise positioning, for the latch to operate efficiently. The pipe has been soldered, desoldered and repositioned many times by trial & error before the correct position had been find. The toothpicks prevent the melted tin to enter into the side holes and fill them, and they also help handling and keeping the pipe in position.
The latch's lever is hinged to the base with a small nail cut to size.
The latch's lever is hinged to the base with a small nail cut to size.
The loop is made with the same copper wire used to make the hinge. The best way to bend it is by using the buckle itself as a template.
The loop is made with the same copper wire used to make the hinge. The best way to bend it is by using the buckle itself as a template.
Bending the loop's side hooks at the appropriate length, so that the latch actually "snaps" when closed, is a quite tricky part of the work. Here the replica and original latches are photographed side by side before finishing.
Bending the loop's side hooks at the appropriate length, so that the latch actually "snaps" when closed, is a quite tricky part of the work. Here the replica and original latches are photographed side by side before finishing.
After being repainted with the same black enamel, the original and the replica latches are ready to be succesfully re-installed on the gramophone.
After being repainted with the same black enamel, the original and the replica latches are ready to be succesfully re-installed on the gramophone.
Last edited by Marco Gilardetti on Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

Phono48
Victor IV

Re: Missing latch on Columbia 160. What to do?

Post by Phono48 »

That is a brilliant job, Marco. Well done!

Barry

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

Great job, well done, and thank you very much for sharing the process. I admire your talent.

Andreas

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Marco, you really should move to the U.S. because you've got the "Yankee Ingenuity" down! :)

Very nice job!

George P.

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV

Dear Barry, Andreas and George, thank you very much for your kind words, I really appreciate them! :)
phonogfp wrote:you've got the "Yankee Ingenuity" down! :)
Is that what is commonly referred to in Italy as the art of getting by? :D

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Marco Gilardetti wrote:
phonogfp wrote:you've got the "Yankee Ingenuity" down! :)
Is that what is commonly referred to in Italy as the art of getting by? :D
I suspect it is! :)

George P.

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

Congratulations, Marco, great job! Now, photos of the whole and complete gramophone, please.

FloridaClay
Victor VI

Post by FloridaClay »

Really nice work!

Clay
Arthur W. J. G. Ord-Hume's Laws of Collecting
1. Space will expand to accommodate an infinite number of possessions, regardless of their size.
2. Shortage of finance, however dire, will never prevent the acquisition of a desired object, however improbable its cost.