(Cactus) thorn needles

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
bart1927
Victor II

(Cactus) thorn needles

Post by bart1927 »

I just stumbled onto this YouTube clip (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5o6cy78u-E) and was really impressed with the sound quality. At first I thought it was a trick, and that the music had been dubbed using a modern records player. But in fact, what we were hearing was this very machine. But instead of a steel needle, a cactus thorn needle had been used.

So I was wondering, where exactly can you get these needles? Or are you just supposed to buy a cactus and clip off the needles?

Many years ago I bought a needle sharpener (see photo). Are these intended to sharpen thorn needles? When I bought it, it came with one needle inserted in the shaft. Does anyone know what kind of needle this is? It doesn't look like a thorn, but it doesn't look like fibre/bamboo either, because aren't the latter always triangular in shape?

barnettrp21122
Victor IV
Personal Text: "Did you ever stop to think that pleasure is a duty?" (Victor sales pamphlet)

Re: (Cactus) thorn needles

Post by barnettrp21122 »

bart1927 wrote:I just stumbled onto this YouTube clip (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5o6cy78u-E) and was really impressed with the sound quality. At first I thought it was a trick, and that the music had been dubbed using a modern records player. But in fact, what we were hearing was this very machine. But instead of a steel needle, a cactus thorn needle had been used.

So I was wondering, where exactly can you get these needles? Or are you just supposed to buy a cactus and clip off the needles?

Many years ago I bought a needle sharpener (see photo). Are these intended to sharpen thorn needles? When I bought it, it came with one needle inserted in the shaft. Does anyone know what kind of needle this is? It doesn't look like a thorn, but it doesn't look like fibre/bamboo either, because aren't the latter always triangular in shape?

That's my youtube video! :)
As you can hear, the sound from the Orthophonic machines can be wonderful!
Your pictured sharpener is designed for thorn needles. It looks like the needle in it is cactus.
Here's a good thread covering some aspects of making thorn needles:

http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... it=+cactus
Bob
"Comparison is the thief of joy" Theodore Roosevelt

His Master's Voice Automatic 1A Exponential Gramophone Demonstration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi70G1Rzqpo

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

The needle pictured looks like a Burmese Thorn to me.

I buy mine from David Williams at GBP£26 per 100 including postage within the UK. As far as I know David has no email address, but I will ask whether he will allow me to post his contact details on this forum.

Meanwhile, here is a guide to the manufacture of thorn needles which David was kind enough to send me :
Attachments
thorn 001.jpg

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

American made thorn needles did use cactus thorns, generally from the Saguaro cactus which is now strictly protected. Old stock packets can be found on Ebay from time to time, the best brand was Kacti, made and sold by Peter Grey. Grey was a bit of a con artist & was legally censured for claiming that records would "Never wear out" with his needles, and that they could restore the quality of old discs.

Other brands found in the US are Duotone, Red Top, and Decca.

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

epigramophone wrote:The needle pictured looks like a Burmese Thorn to me.

I buy mine from David Williams at GBP£26 per 100 including postage within the UK. As far as I know David has no email address, but I will ask whether he will allow me to post his contact details on this forum.

Meanwhile, here is a guide to the manufacture of thorn needles which David was kind enough to send me :
Considering that botanists in the US were recently able to resurrect a now-extinct squash from centuries-old seeds, I wonder whether the Burmese thorn bush could be revived? Surely there must be a museum somewhere that has preserved specimens -perhaps with seeds?

Bill

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

epigramophone wrote:The needle pictured looks like a Burmese Thorn to me.

I have spoken to David and here with his permission is his business card. He is happy to fulfil orders from outside the UK, but please be aware that he does not have internet access :
Attachments
001.jpg

SteveM
Victor II

Post by SteveM »

I posted this photo a long time ago of a tree I have, wondering if it was a honey locust. Turns out (after I recently walked by it and discovered it has fruit :shock: ) that it's a quince. I haven't had much luck with the thorns. I soaked them in gum arabic for the specified time ... dried them in the sun ... they don't really stand up. I may try again. They keep calling to me! Then I could get a sharpener like that. Btw, the sharpener would also probably be good for the toothpicks that I sometimes use, as well.
Attachments
photo%5B2%5D.JPG
“The cup of tea on arrival at a country house is a thing which, as a rule, I particularly enjoy. I like the crackling logs, the shaded lights, the scent of buttered toast, the general atmosphere of leisured cosiness.”

P. G. Wodehouse

Henry
Victor V

Post by Henry »

Steve, the honey locust is a regular tree with clusters of thorns all along the trunk and branches. It's not a bush or tangle like the image in your post, as you've already discovered. The honey locust grows in our area of S.E. Pa. I have gathered thorns off of a specimen in the Trexler Nature Preserve in Lehigh County, near me. In my experience, the thorns are not very durable, and the sound tends to be somewhat muffled. This is using an untreated thorn. I haven't experimented with various soaks, coatings, etc. The results I've obtained with several natural thorns have not persuaded me to abandon soft-tone steel needles---not yet, at any rate.

nalanotrig
Victor Jr

Post by nalanotrig »

Here is something I came across while sorting my Dad's collections. Just thought it was interesting.
Attachments
DSC02997.JPG
DSC02997.JPG (101.32 KiB) Viewed 2818 times
DSC02996.JPG
DSC02996.JPG (107.88 KiB) Viewed 2818 times
DSC02995.JPG
DSC02995.JPG (111.17 KiB) Viewed 2818 times