Orthophonic Black Suitcase Paint.

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
larryh
Victor IV

Orthophonic Black Suitcase Paint.

Post by larryh »

Hello All,

I have a Black Orthophonic Suit Case Portable I have had for years. Its always had large places of missing black finish on the material that covers it. Not sure if that is a cloth or tent type material or what. If a person wanted to clean it up, ( and it has had some wax applied over the years to try and make it look better), has anyone had good luck with a particular type of paint finish for these? I don't know if I would have to strip it of just attempt to dewax and repaint over the existing finish. It might be like some other things where paint is on an off, if you don't remove all the old you end up with a lousy looking finished product. Any help out on this one.

Larry

larryh
Victor IV

Re: Orthophonic Black Suitcase Paint.

Post by larryh »

Sounds interesting and through, but a bit more involved than I had hoped for. But I had a feeling that it was not a simple matter of slapping some paint on it even though that is how it may end up, but at what effect is still unknown.

Larry

phono10

Re: Orthophonic Black Suitcase Paint.

Post by phono10 »

I have had great luck with the black liquid shoe polish in the plastic bottle with the sponge on top. It really helps old cloth covers and it does not leave any build up..... Have used it for years.