Rusty Screws

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Zeppy
Victor III

Rusty Screws

Post by Zeppy »

I was hoping to get some advise on removing rusty screws. The screw in question is a screw that holds the spring onto the Exhibition needle bar. I'm fairly determined to get this screw off because it is a round chuck needle bar rather than the triangular (and the spring is broken, so it must come off).

I've had it soaking in WD-40 for about a week, and the screw still doesn't want to budge. Any other suggestions on how to get it loose?

OrthoSean
Victor V

Re: Rusty Screws

Post by OrthoSean »

It might be worth sending it to George Vollema to get it out, rather than risk wrecking / breaking the screw. I've had good luck using a perfect fitting small screwdriver and needle nose pliers with even pressure to back the screw out. Sounds more complicated than it is, really.

Again though, if you're really worried about it, send it to George, he'll have no issue getting it out for you.

Sean

gibsonj
Victor O

Post by gibsonj »

Zeppy,

As OrthoSean points out, it's very important to use a proper fitting screwdriver. To do otherwise risks damaging the screw-head, and that makes it more likely you'll not be able to move the screw.

You might want to consider investing in a premium set of gun-smithing screwdrivers if you're routinely doing repair work.

Good luck with it!

John

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

There's an old repairman's trick I've heard of but haven't tried: touching the tip of a hot soldering iron to the head of the screw. The theory is that the screw will expand slightly and break the grip holding it. As long as there aren't any solder joints nearby I can't see that it would harm anything.

B.B.B
Victor I

Post by B.B.B »

estott wrote:There's an old repairman's trick I've heard of but haven't tried: touching the tip of a hot soldering iron to the head of the screw. The theory is that the screw will expand slightly and break the grip holding it. As long as there aren't any solder joints nearby I can't see that it would harm anything.
I can confirm that it works. When working on bigger, not so delicate things, a propane torch to the screw almost always solves the issue. The soldering iron does the same thing on a smaller scale.

Another thing worth trying is letting the reproducer (or other smaller object with stubborn screws) spend the night in the freezer. Works surprisingly often.

And remember, the screws we are talking about here are 80-100 years old. And small. If they break, it isn't very strange actually. I find it more strange that they hold up so well!
It isn't very hard to drill them out & re-thread the hole. Always an option me thinks.
Searching for The Sound