Has any of you cleaned and regreased Triton motor springs?

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
bob27556
Victor I

Has any of you cleaned and regreased Triton motor springs?

Post by bob27556 »

I picked up an Edison Spring Motor phonograph in Feb and will need to remove, clean, inspect and regrease the springs. Does anyone have any advice on how to do this? I've done Edison single spring and Victor dual spring motors but never a Triton. It sure does look intimidating!

Re: Has any of you cleaned and regreased Triton motor springs?

Post by Guest »

The Triton motor springs are strong, so eat before you start. Take the screws out that hold the frame to the bottom bedplate. Make sure the motor is fully un-wound. Next remove the screws for the shaft that goes through the center of all the springs, there is one on either end. Drive the shaft out with a wooden dowel and rubber mallet or a wood one. The springs barrels should be out. Next carefully pull the barrels slightly apart and note rotation of springs, writing a diagram. Unhook the spring with the drive gear first, take it out, clean the parts with whatever prefered cleaning solution you use; I like brake cleaner. Clean the parts, and take the 2 springs in the big barrel out, note rotation. There is a spacer between the 2. Clean the springs and degrease them. Relubricate them with No. 2 flaked graphite and Vaseline. You can also use sythentic mobile 1 grease, the pink kind, with good results. Assemble back together. These springs are the stoutest springs that there are, and the barrels are cast iron. You must be really strong to put in and take out these springs. Hooking them up is really fun, too. I would use a V block wooden jawed vice, or use wood cabenet clamps, and C clamp these to a table. If you have not had good practice with mainsprings, the Triton is probably not for you! These springs can do some serious damage. I have a Triumph, that records a lot of cylinders, so I go through this once and awhile, as recording shavings get embedded in the spring barrel somehow, so I clean the springs and motor every couple of months!