Cleaning Columbia Fiber Gears

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Dave D
Victor IV

Cleaning Columbia Fiber Gears

Post by Dave D »

I am replacing a worn out spindle shaft gear on a Columbia Grafonola. The gear is a good used one, but I want to clean it before using it. What is the safest way to do that? Are any solvents safe to use or should I just dry brush it with a toothbrush? Thanks for any suggestions.
Dave D

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Re: Cleaning Columbia Fiber Gears

Post by Phonofreak »

Dave, Don't use any solvents. It might damage the gear. I would use a soft, dry toothbrush. If there is still dirt and crud, a very light spritz of WD-40, and soft toothbrush should do the trick. What machine is this off of?
Harvey Kravitz

De Soto Frank
Victor V

Post by De Soto Frank »

Maybe also use a round, hardwood toothpick to dig-out stubborn grease from the gear. :coffee:
De Soto Frank

Dave D
Victor IV

Post by Dave D »

Thanks for the tips, guys. I am usually very fastidious about motor cleanup. In this case, with this gear, I am just doing the best that I can. All the rest will be cleaned in my ultrasonic cleaner and scrubbed until all traces of old lube is gone.

Harvey, I don't know the model and don't even really like Columbias. This is going to a friend as a house warming gift for a home they are restoring.
Dave

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

Them is fighting words in them, thar hills :lol: :lol: Seriously, The reason I asked, is if this is the thin fiber gear, they are extremely delicate and can break easily. Through the years, they get real brittle and can break. If it is the early thin gear, I would get a new delrin gear from Ron Sitko. They are very durable and last for a good long time. Then I would put the gear in an envelope, and put it in the machine for historical purposes.
Harvey Kravitz

Harvey, I don't know the model and don't even really like Columbias. This is going to a friend as a house warming gift for a home they are restoring.
Dave[/quote]

Dave D
Victor IV

Post by Dave D »

Harvey! I don't want to fight you! You are one of the nicest, most helpful people on this list. It is not the thin gear this time, but rather thick. I have the machine repaired and it is now at my friend's house and they love it as much as you love your Harvard Talking Machine!

Dave

De Soto Frank
Victor V

Post by De Soto Frank »

Dave,

I'm a confirmed "Victor Man", but over the last couple of years, I've developed a fondness for Columbia disc machines....

They're not as robustly built as Victor products, but they can be attractive machines, capable of respectable, reliable performance.

I think their biggest Achille's Heel are the pot-metal tone-arm and joints that seize-up. Which can be successfully repaired, if approached carefully.

I have a lovely Grafonola Deluxe in Satin Walnut that is every bit as impressive as my L-door Victrola... :)
De Soto Frank

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

Hi Dave, I was just kidding you :lol: :lol: . Don't take me seriously. :) :) I just couldn't resist. Now I know what gear you have. These later ones are more durable than the early thin gear. I would use WD-40, or PB blaster. Then I would use the toothbrush. Tou don't have to use kid gloves on this gear. Now to play my Hawaiian records on my Harvard!! :lol: :lol:
Harvey Kravitz
Dave D wrote:Harvey! I don't want to fight you! You are one of the nicest, most helpful people on this list. It is not the thin gear this time, but rather thick. I have the machine repaired and it is now at my friend's house and they love it as much as you love your Harvard Talking Machine!

Dave

Victrolacollector
Victor V

Post by Victrolacollector »

Those fiber gears seem to be breaking a lot, the Columbia ones that I dealt with back in the 1990s seemed nice and strong,
and in the past few years seems most are broken. Like Harvey said, Ron Sitko offers a good replacement. The key to these is keeping them free from oils and greases that wears them down. This is the same problem as the gears on the Heineman Motors.

I personally prefer Victor and Edison machines, but Columbia machines can be as or even more attractive. They usually have nice ornate cabinets with columns. I have a B, Q and BK and love them.

jboger
Victor IV

Post by jboger »

In another post about a very sooty Columbia AH that I found, I left off with the statement that I couldn't remove the motor because a nut and bolt turned together. This morning after nothing more than an application of some oil and a few taps from a light hammer, the nut turned freely and I disassembled the motor. The attached photos are of the fiber gear. Is this an early thin one or a later thick one? I'd say the thickness of this wheel is about ⅛ to 3/16 inches thick (I'm eyeballing); that of the pinion a little more. The Columbia AH's date to 1902-3.
Safe to go ahead and use a bit of WD-40? I like Harvey's suggestion to bag this and use a modern replacement. Anyone know if that is available? I could check with a fine gentleman in NYS from whom I bought items before.
Attachments
DSCF1232.jpg
DSCF1232.jpg (78.7 KiB) Viewed 1917 times
DSCF1231.jpg
DSCF1231.jpg (64.69 KiB) Viewed 1917 times