Grill cloth for a Credenza

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Nat
Victor III

Grill cloth for a Credenza

Post by Nat »

I've got a great Credenza which is in A-1 shape, all except the grill cloth. The cloth is dirty beyond ignorable, as much as I believe in letting things alone. Can anyone tell me where I might get a new cloth that will be the right color, etc.? I'm going to give cleaning the old one one more go, and then... But how do you get if off the wooden grill?

Nat

barnettrp21122
Victor IV
Personal Text: "Did you ever stop to think that pleasure is a duty?" (Victor sales pamphlet)

Re: Grill cloth for a Credenza

Post by barnettrp21122 »

Take a look at this website. They have a variety of grillcloth patterns. Number 60 looks like a good match.
http://www.grillecloth.com/
I've never had the frame out of mine, so can't help with the cloth removal. Anybody else?
Bob

nipper
Victor O
Personal Text: "Always On Vacation"

Post by nipper »

Hi Nat
If you decide to replace the clothe this is were I buy from http://www.grillecloth.com/pages/gallery.php

I recommend that you get a sample from him first before you decide .

I use #13.

Nipper

Nat
Victor III

Post by Nat »

Thanks to you both! I've bookmarked the page for when I get home, and will investigate it then.

Appreciate your help!

Nat

Brad
Victor III
Personal Text: So many phonographs, so little money

Post by Brad »

Nat,

I believe APSCO stocks grill cloth that is almost an exact replacement for the original.
Why do we need signatures when we are on a first avatar basis?

Jerry

Post by Jerry »

You essentially remove the grill cloth by destroying it. Many of us would love to have an original grill cloth, even if dirty. I would reconsider replacing it. Your phonograph is 80+ years old, don't expect it to look new.

Neophone
Victor III

Post by Neophone »

Jerry wrote:You essentially remove the grill cloth by destroying it. Many of us would love to have an original grill cloth, even if dirty. I would reconsider replacing it. Your phonograph is 80+ years old, don't expect it to look new.
Jerry,

I agree with you insofar as it's possible to keep things original. But grille cloth is on of the most fragile parts of a Victrola and I can fully understand a clan machine having a ruined grille cloth. Is is stained, soiled or ripped, Nat?

Regards,
John

Listening to the Victrola fifteen minutes a day will alter and brighten your whole life.
Use each needle only ONCE!

Nat
Victor III

Post by Nat »

Sorry to be slow to reply - I've been traveling between the ranch and Seattle...

The old cloth is almost grossly stained, almost black across the bottom. The rest of the machine looks as close to new as possible (only two owners prior to me, both of whom treasured it). I'd certainly keep the old cloth if it was mere faded or dirty all over, but this is nasty staining and it really bugs me when I'm playing it to look over and see streaks and stains.

It's not uncommon to re-cover old chairs, and I'm approaching this the same way.

I wonder if I can get the old cloth out and clean it?

Nat

larryh
Victor IV

Post by larryh »

I am afraid you will find time has had its way with the cloth. The one I had became so touchy that merely dusting the wood decorative grill could result in a tear. The material just seemed to perhaps become a bit rotten. Maybe yours isn't that way in which case if you did wash it I would be extremely careful in handling and it might shrink beyond use as well. It will be interesting to see what your experience is?

Larry

Nat
Victor III

Post by Nat »

I won't be home long enough to work on it till mid-September, but then we'll see. I rather think if I try to clean it ans succeed, so much the better; but if not, it's so bad I don't really care. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks to everyone for their comments and help!

Nat