Exhibition Reproducer Rebuild

Share your phonograph repair & restoration techniques here
Snowball
Victor Jr

Exhibition Reproducer Rebuild

Post by Snowball »

Hi Everyone,
So, I finally tackled something I've been wanting to do since I purchased by XVI. I didn't take pictures of the entire process because there are many tutorials out there on doing this. I just wanted to show you what my gaskets looked like and how they both completely crumbled to the touch. After getting everything buttoned back up and adjusted, I couldn't believe the clarity difference. I'm so glad I attempted this myself instead of paying someone 100+ dollars to do this for me. This particular Victrola came from a family who 'loved' it a lot and it shows.

Anyways, to those newbies out there who are thinking about doing this, I highly recommend you try this on your own. Because of the size of the screws, make sure you have flathead screwdrivers which directly match the groove in the screw. Also, have a cheap soldering iron handy to melt a drop of wax onto the needle arm and screw.

Lastly, thank you to this forum for all the wealth of information.
Attachments
Reproducer.jpg

Henry
Victor V

Re: Exhibition Reproducer Rebuild

Post by Henry »

Thanks for posting. For those who wish detailed instructions, see: http://www.nipperhead.com/old/reproducers.htm , click on "Victor Exhibition."

I had my Exhibition rebuilt, but I fine-tuned it afterwards, and the results astonished me. No more blasting, etc. For its day, it was really a remarkable device, and still is. Mine has given many hours of good listening pleasure.

Snowball
Victor Jr

Post by Snowball »

Henry wrote:Thanks for posting. For those who wish detailed instructions, see: http://www.nipperhead.com/old/reproducers.htm , click on "Victor Exhibition."

I had my Exhibition rebuilt, but I fine-tuned it afterwards, and the results astonished me. No more blasting, etc. For its day, it was really a remarkable device, and still is. Mine has given many hours of good listening pleasure.
Hi Henry. Those were the exact instructions that I followed. Thanks for posting the link.

jsimmons0331
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Jim S

Post by jsimmons0331 »

I know this is an old thread, but I'm posting anyway as the answer may add useful information.

I recently rebuilt my early Exhibition. Since I dismantled it entirely so I could re-plate the outer ring, I needed to do a re-adjustment of the needle arm. Once I had it adjusted so the needle arm just touched the mica disc, I locked the adjustment nuts in place. I have looked at many pictures of Exhibition reproducers online and I see in some where the adjustment locking nuts are locked against the springs and some where the nuts are locked against the base of the ring. I'm assuming the correct way is to tighten them against the base of the ring. Does it matter? What is the best practice? I have attached a photo of my completed restoration.

Jim S
Attachments
Repro-Front.jpg

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

The adjustment nuts on both my Exhibition reproducers are at the base of the ring. One reproducer is a triangle-hole model from an unmolested 1914 Victrola and the other a round-hole model with the early knurled nuts which came off my Victor III.

I think Snowball did good and you did too--got those parts back right AND fixed some great Victrolas. I mean, an XVI (top of the line!) and one of the oldest extant Victor III machines (not top of the line but sounding quite nice) those are some amazing phonographs. Great saves!

jsimmons0331
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Jim S

Post by jsimmons0331 »

Locking the adjustment nuts to the base of the reproducer ring makes most sense to me. This allows some movement on the spring end and is less likely to dampen the sound vibrations through the needle arm. Since the link about rebuilding the reproducer mentioned above does not go into any details about removing or replacing the needle arm or springs I thought this would be good advice to anyone needing to fully disassemble the needle arm.